Convertible Top - Pump/Cylinders

Mudeblue

Reaction score
Have a 1965 Plymouth Fury. It has been setting, covered up, in the garage all summer, Arizona, with the top down. Went to put it up today and the pump wines like it always has for the last 35 years. The left side went up but the right side did not. Lifted it manually and forced it up and half way I heard a metal on metal sound but just could have been a cable or hinge. In any event, is there a way to determine if it is the pump or a bad cylinder without tearing everything apart? Fresh restoration and reluctant to tear everything apart. Thanks.

You'll hear the pump pumping or trying to pump if it's good. You could be low on fluid, check the level however it sounds like you'll have to pull the rear seat and left rear panel to put eyes on the left cylinder. . You could be pumping fluid all over the floor of your car and not know it.

barring leaks my guess would be that if one side worked the pump is ok and the cylinder isn't....mine wouldn't raise so I guessed pump and was wrong...both my cylinders had failed and bypassed internally...no leaks

Start with pulling the back seat and checking the fluid level in the pump. I learned that whining sound in mine was because it was low on fluid. Once I filled it, the top ran great a few times, then I found the leak in the cylinder. If you end up needing new cylinders, get new lines too. Worth the investment.

barring leaks my guess would be that if one side worked the pump is ok and the cylinder isn't....mine wouldn't raise so I guessed pump and was wrong...both my cylinders had failed and bypassed internally...no leaks
I have a SF which is a C body. Are the cylinders the same for all Models and once I pull it apart, I may as well replace both cylinders and all lines and where did you purchase. Thanks.

Back