Correct adjustment for 727 kickdown lever

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This pertains to a 1967 727.

The lever shaft rotates through an arc, I'm eyeballing it at somewhere between 60 and 90 degrees. Some sort of internal spring keeps the resting position towards the front. As it's rotated CCW the resisting spring force increases.

I note some slack or slop in the CW rest position. Maybe 15 or 20 degrees worth. I can move it back and forth in that range with no resistance. Is that normal?

I read where this arm should move from fully CW to the full CCW postion in a way that follows the throttle position from idle to full throttle. The various rods can be adjusted for that. My question - does this include the slack? Should the slack be adjusted out at the idle throttle position?

I understand that this lever is pretty important and shouldn't be left disconnected, something about the trans internals not liking that very much. ?

Yes what your describe is accurate and normal.

There is a spring that runs parallel to the top rod that pulls it up tight to the throttle pin on carb.

WOT the accelerator pedal with a helpers foot, adjust the throttle pressure rod to reach end travel at that position also.

I found a 1971 Chrysler master tech video on the subject:

At 6:20 they show a "tool" which is really a plate with a spring that holds the throttle link arm against it's forward stop. I guess this is an acknowledgement that the arm has slack on the forward side and needs an external spring to pull it forward during adjustments.

My particular setup (with 318) is shown at the 12:00 mark.

At the 5:50 mark they say that the '71 torqueflight has been adjusted to give the smoothest shifts vs older models.

Back