Correct paint scheme '67 Monaco rad support and other under-hood parts

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Windsor-built '67 Monaco.

Was both sides of the rad support painted body color? Or just the engine side (with the front facing side painted black)?

What about the air shield and cross bar (top and bottom sides)?

Hood latch mechanism, release handle?

These are for A and B bodies but you may glean some info from them.

Radiator Support Black Out.jpg2.jpeg

Radiator Support Black Out.jpg

From what I have seen, which are not all Windsor-built cars, if that even matters, is that the full core support was painted with the rest of the car, as it was all "complete" at that time, which means it is body color, front, back, top, bottom. The "black" color is applied somewhat haphazzardly, rather than sprayed precisely, from what I saw at the dealership make ready and later of cars on lifts at the dealerships. The paintwork was certainly NOT to the same level of execution as the rest of the car, by observation, with some looking like they were painted with a "broad brush" or "quick spray angled from underneath".

End result is a generally dark background for the style and shine of the grille and related "bright" items to be in front of. Radiators and condensers were black, as were the related hoses, so what was behind the grille was all black (flatted satin rather than shiny). There might have been some exceptions for darker-colored cars, but I also suspect that if they were shiny (on a black car), it would have looked different, which I don't recall.

BUT, like other things related to an automotive assy line . . . although there were definite build instructions for each car at the corporate level, the EXECUTION of these instructions was up to the individual line supervisors to enforce or ensure they were followed. Which could vary from plant to plant AND shift to shift (at the same plant). Which can mean that things were "generally followed" rather than "specifically followed".

Which further means that if the black-out paint was applied with a brush, more differences around the edges can exist than not. In other words, take pictures of what YOUR car came with and then replicate THAT in any restoration activities.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Here is what I found researching the 69s I had a red parts car and a green driver, both matched (I was working on a black car).
  • Here is a list of items that WERE painted body color.
    • Fender Braces
    • Core Support (may have some blackout on the front)
    • Hood Latch Support (may have some blackout)
    • Battery Tray
    • Hood latch loop
    • Trunk Catch (on my 67 Barracuda it was natural)
  • Items that were NOT painted body color.
    • Inner Fenders (I believe were painted body color in 67)
    • Grill Brackets
    • Hood Latch Bracket
    • Battery Support Bracket
    • Hood Latch Support to core support bracket.
    • Hood safety catch

Bracket at bottom was not red at all, had black on it were it bolts as the support had red paint
2013-04-08_001.jpg

2013-04-08_003.jpg

2013-04-08_004.jpg

2013-04-08_007.jpg

Not sure what grill brackets you may have but this was to show that they had no body color on them.
2013-04-08_009.jpg

2013-04-08_010.jpg

Often done wrong, this was not painted with the car.
2013-04-08_011.jpg

Keep in mind that this is 67, I know some items (inner fenders for one) were different.

Alan

2013-04-08_002.jpg

MY 67 is a Windsor built car December of 1966.
I can share these pics as reference.
Like CBODY67 said..
BUT, like other things related to an automotive assy line . . . although there were definite build instructions for each car at the corporate level, the EXECUTION of these instructions was up to the individual line supervisors to enforce or ensure they were followed. Which could vary from plant to plant AND shift to shift (at the same plant). Which can mean that things were "generally followed" rather than "specifically followed"
This is a pretty accurate statement.
The rad core support is sloppy on Grace and appears to be sprayed from an angle by a worker working below the car.
The inside facing the engine is always body color.
The hood latch support is also blacked out..
Sprayed starting from the drivers side to passenger side based on overspray and falling short on the passenger side.
Note no black behind hood bumpers and no black on the air dam below the grille.
The hood latch and bracket were either lightly sprayed black- so thin that surface rust has taken over or not painted at all.
Note the coolant sticker location at rad cap.
Hope this helps.

20240822_164234.jpg

20240822_164244.jpg

20240822_164300.jpg

20240822_164410.jpg

20240822_164358.jpg

Last edited:
When these cars were made, did the front fenders and wheel cowls (the engine-bay part of the cowls) and cross-bar and rad support get painted separately? I can't see how some of that would have been on the car when the body paint spray happened. Even if the front stub wasn't there, if the front clip was attached to the unibody then some of the firewall would have been blocked from getting body paint.

Regarding the rad support and cross bar, at one point they got body paint (rad support both sides, cross bar maybe only the top?) then later after the rad support and cross bar were ON THE CAR they got the black-paint treatment? That seems sloppy to me. But regardless - under the black paint - where-ever you find it on the rad support and cross bar - there *will* be body paint ?

The air shield and what paint it got is still a mystery to me.

Were the inside (or back-side) of the front fenders painted? With what color?

I had always figured the car went down the paint line twice.

First with no doors, trunk lid, fenders hood etc. Just the bare shell with the hinges. This allowed them to jam the car, firewall (engine compartment on non c-bodies), inside the trunk etc.

Once that was done the fenders, doors, hood and other bits were added, some of these parts may have had the insides done previously. Then the car went down the paint line again with all these closed.

Alan

Back