courtesy lights - bench seat cars?

Does yours have a clear lens covering the light? My 67 does not, it just has slits in the upper panel the light comes through. Do you put in a led bulb? That's nice and bright, mine isn't nearly that bright. I should replace that bulb and while I'm at it... replace all the flood light bulbs for the instrument cluster.

I've been perplexed by this issue with my '67 Sport Fury conververtible. This car has every factory option EXCEPT a 440 and tilt steering wheel. Buddy seat car with column shift. It has glove box light and trunk light. There is no ignition switch light or courtesy lights up front. Only the map light, which isn't very bright. I see where 69 had the courtesy lights in both corners under the dash near the kick panel. Mine, being a convertible, I would think it would have them. This the first Mopar C body I've ever seen that doesn't have an ignition switch bezel light, which this car really needs, Ignition is recessed in the dash and really hard to see. When looking at the FSM, electrical section, dash and gauges, they have a photograph of the back side of the dash illustrating locations of all gauges, lights etc. It's not showing ignition switch light or courtesy lights. I'm STUMPED. Guess I need a bezel with the light hole and the light, little bracket with pigtail.

Does yours have a clear lens covering the light? My 67 does not, it just has slits in the upper panel the light comes through. Do you put in a led bulb? That's nice and bright, mine isn't nearly that bright. I should replace that bulb and while I'm at it... replace all the flood light bulbs for the instrument cluster.

Same as yours- just the housing and the slots in the panel that let the light shine through. I found my old map light with a butchered harness on it and it didn't have a lens either, and the NOS map light I bought didn't have one.

I useds these warm white LEDs in the dome light and map light location: https://www.amazon.com/BRISHINE-Interior-Trailer-Motorhome-Landscape/dp/B08P6RC439?th=1 they are substantially brighter, but they ended up being closer to neutral/cool for color than the incandescent bulbs. You can tell in the pic between the front and rear that the rear dome lights are much yellower because of the lenses, so since that pic was taken I swapped the dome lights to these https://a.co/d/7FdkOPv which are less yellow and more bluish for a tint, shining through the dome lenses the light color is much closer front to rear now.

I have new dome lenses that should be less yellowed and trim surrounds showing up next week too, hopefully after replacing those the light color will be a perfect match front to rear.

Edit: will also warn you with LEDs in those locations, if you try starting the car with the door open the LEDs will flicker as the voltage drops during cranking. I'm ok with that drawback since they brighten up the interior so much.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. Did you covert your 4 flood lights for the instrument cluster to led? I think I just need to clean them up and new bulbs even original incandescents will brighten them up.

Back