Coverting 440 A/C to NON A/C

rl000999

Reaction score
I'm getting rid of my A/C pump & would like to know what to do pully wise to convert this to (NON A/C)
I also have my alternator off at the moment

PXL_20241014_195906209.jpg

PXL_20241014_195916953.jpg

Going drag racing? You might need that extra weight up front to keep the front wheels on the ground?

You'll need the CORRECT pulleys for the components as they were different diameters for a/c and non-a/c cars. Otherwise, run the alternator from the water pump and crankshaft, just as the belts now are, just get shorter belt(s) for the alternator. Using the non-a/c alternator belt as a guide to start with, as to length. Have any friends at an auto supply that still carries a selection of belts?

Otherwise, for the shadetree method, run a cord around the pulleys when the a/c compressor is removed. Add, probably, abt 1-1.5" to that length to allow for the belt riding higher in the groove than the cord does. Use that for your initial trial-fit length of the alternator belt.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Going drag racing? You might need that extra weight up front to keep the front wheels on the ground?

You'll need the CORRECT pulleys for the components as they were different diameters for a/c and non-a/c cars. Otherwise, run the alternator from the water pump and crankshaft, just as the belts now are, just get shorter belt(s) for the alternator. Using the non-a/c alternator belt as a guide to start with, as to length. Have any friends at an auto supply that still carries a selection of belts?

Otherwise, for the shadetree method, run a cord around the pulleys when the a/c compressor is removed. Add, probably, abt 1-1.5" to that length to allow for the belt riding higher in the groove than the cord does. Use that for your initial trial-fit length of the alternator belt.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Great idea.....I just need to manufacture a bracket to push the alternator out approx 3 inches

I'm getting rid of my A/C pump & would like to know what to do pully wise to convert this to (NON A/C)
I also have my alternator off at the moment

View attachment 687011

View attachment 687012

Why would you do this? Are you going to run the car on the track? I don't see the advantage that change would provide. Tell us more about your car and some pictures are always welcome.

Great idea.....I just need to manufacture a bracket to push the alternator out approx 3 inches
In reality, the alternator location is common between the two types, as is the water pump location. Might need to do more research as to the front/rear orientations of the two systems. I did read years ago that the pulley diameters were completely different, as to drive ratios which resulted. Nothing was mentioned about the f/r orientations.

Sorry,
CBODY67

Back