Critique these brake shoe linings...

Grannys67

Reaction score
On a scale of "they're fine, no big deal" ----to---- "holy crap what the hell" how bad are these, with a crack running down the middle of each lining..
20241021_130315.jpg
20241021_130324.jpg
20241021_130329.jpg

Those are factory style linings. The cracking is the result of overheating. It would be best to replace them. Check the wheel cylinders to be sure that they are free and not leaking.

Dave

Yeah, a new set is definitely in the plans, Getting ready to order, any particular recommendations on brand? Or just go with my gut

Wheel cylinders & hoses have been replaced already, appear to be working/not leaking

Match the width of what you have.

Might aim for a "HD" or "Police" lining, if possible. Raybestos or similar OEM replacement brand. Chk Rock Auto for pricing, in general.

As for the cracks, the shoes on our '66 Newport had cracks in them, though not quite as intense as the pictured ones are. Being the frictions are bonded to the shoes, might never cause any problems with flaking off or similar. Looks like lots of good lining, though. They could last a good while longer as is, from what I've seen over the years. BUT they are not expensive. Your call.

CBODY67

Toast--- put butter or jelly on them.....
Are they Fronts or Rears ???

If they are Fronts --- which should be 11 " x 3 " --- I have *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** for the softest , smooooooothest braking system known to mankind.....
P.M. me , as per forum rules , if interested....
Not advised to use that Chineseum garbage, which will rip up your Brake Drums to smithereens.......
Craig.....

The strange thing is, when I had drums, i feel like linings looked like that all the time in a short period of installing new ones. Even with new drums.

I remember running bonded linings like that for thousands of miles in the 70s. Never had one fail. They stopped fine.
It was always a mystery to me why they didn't peel right on off of there.

Back