daughter's 66 Polara survivor

biginch=bigfun

Reaction score
New member here although I've been an A body & B bodyonly member for quite some time.
I have been into Mopars my entire life thanks to my cool uncle Jon & his friends. I grew up in all kinds of hotrods including a T/A challenger.
So my daughters also caught the bug from me. My youngest daughter Isabella (Bella) has been in the garage helping & asking questions since she could talk. She has a dream car, a 68 fast back Barracuda. Well we've been looking for a couple years with no luck. She was about to turn 16 this summer & still no fast backs to be had. One night on a family Willys ride i spotted a "more door" Polara. as a joke i suggested we check it out tomorrow. she surprised me & was interested. Bright & early we jumped back in the Willys & went back. I really thought she'd turn her nose up at it! Instead she was smiling. The owner offered her the keys. It fired right up & sounded good! Tranny jumped into gear right away. It was a 26,000 original survivor! 383 auto w/ dealer installed air. The owner told us it just had new brakes installed & we could take it for a spin. After a couple miles floating on the highway Bella had a huge smile & said she REALLY liked it!
We returned the car & acted uninterested. I called the owner later & struck a deal that would allow the car to stay in its same spot until her birthday. We live in a small town, so she'd see it constantly while i kept quizing her if she'd really want a big old 4 door?
Finally right before her birthday I moved the car to a friends shop & cleaned it up. Even put a bow on it! We took her there to feed a dog & surprised her w/ the Polara! She was very excited.
She has gone to the junkyard looking for parts w/ me. & loves giving rides in it. When we gave it to her she requested two things, " can you make it louder & make it faster"? I told her I'll do one of them right away but you have to earn the other one. We installed true duals with Purple Hornies! It sounds great & she loves to "wrap the pipes up"!
I love driving the car too. It cruises like a dream. Its been on a 200 mile round trip running 70 to 80mph. It averaged 16.4 mpg.
It needs the seats recovered. The paint is not great but its original...rust is minimal. It through a fit about a month ago so i had to do some mechanical upgrades but otherwise all is great. Every morning Bella insists on driving it to school no matter how the weather is here in Nebraska!
So here we are. Glad to meet you all & hope to glean some knowledge & make friends!
Louis
IMG_4254.JPG
IMG_4255.JPG
IMG_4259.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG
IMG_4290.JPG
IMG_4306.JPG
IMG_4309.JPG
IMG_4308.JPG
IMG_4319.JPG
IMG_4374.JPG
IMG_4374.JPG

Awesome way to surprise her! I like the picture of her hugging the car, and of the pooch enjoying the ride!

we are a really tight family so we all like to enjoy each other & their interestsm including Smidgen our dog! lol

Awesome story and a cool kid. My daughter is 11 and I can already see her catching the bug too. Her current infatuation is an early to mid 60s pickup, “patina” and all.

Nice car! Before you make it faster, make it stop better with at least a dual reservoir master cylinder, if not a disc brake swap.
x2... as an all weather driver, I can't imagine leaving the single pot to do the job... If you're on flat land and teach her well... the drums wouldn't bother me nearly as much.
we are a really tight family so we all like to enjoy each other & their interestsm including Smidgen our dog! lol
Nice to see kids with some passion for the old cars, brand loyalty matters less to me than a basic appreciation. I believe a part of that appreciation should be introducing her to the maintenance and repairs the car requires. She will know more than guy's at the shop about this car in no time... an important consideration when it's already so hard to find a good tech.

Fantastic story, it truly warms my heart.:thumbsup:

welcome from another Polara Owner in Nebraska, same color too!They are great driving cars. The young guys really like the old sedans. she better watch out!

x2... as an all weather driver, I can't imagine leaving the single pot to do the job... If you're on flat land and teach her well... the drums wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

Nice to see kids with some passion for the old cars, brand loyalty matters less to me than a basic appreciation. I believe a part of that appreciation should be introducing her to the maintenance and repairs the car requires. She will know more than guy's at the shop about this car in no time... an important consideration when it's already so hard to find a good tech.

Nebraska = flat land!
Brand loyalty is important to us.
The part about her always being in the garage & asking questions should be expanded upon; Bella can weld w/ Oxy, Arc, & Mig. She can explain the principles on a four stroke internal combustion engine better than most mature gentlemen. In fact she has helped build & repair B & RB engines. She is capable of doing her own general maintenance including tire rotation.
Awesome story and a cool kid. My daughter is 11 and I can already see her catching the bug too. Her current infatuation is an early to mid 60s pickup, “patina” and all.

Nebraska = flat land!
Brand loyalty is important to us.
The part about her always being in the garage & asking questions should be expanded upon; Bella can weld w/ Oxy, Arc, & Mig. She can explain the principles on a four stroke internal combustion engine better than most mature gentlemen. In fact she has helped build & repair B & RB engines. She is capable of doing her own general maintenance including tire rotation.
Excellent :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm a big fan of young folks who know something about their car... and especially when the ladies do. It's fun to be a fly on the wall when they school some fella who thinks he's smarter...:lol:

Yes sir sedan seat covers can be pricey, but easier then finding a competent guy to Do the work. I found the universal truck style seat covers fit that size fairly well, and are very affordable. whereabouts in Nebraska are you?

Beautiful daughter plus a beautiful sedan!

I love it when the young guns gets passionate about C-Bodies.

Back