Diecast chrome difficulties

58Imp

Reaction score
I have been working on getting some of my chrome back on my 58 Imperial. Its been a 2 year process in which I sent to plater and then I got stuff back and the roof pieces were terrible so I sent them back and they redid them however they have been worked so much I have bad warpage. On top of that there has been so much copper and nickel I had thickness issues.

After grinding and test fitting dozens and dozens of times I have now got them to a place where I am ok with the fit. My tip is to clamp them off like this in several places before putting nuts on. Never pull them in with the nuts as the Diecast is so soft you will get bad dimpling. I will leave these clamped up for days and hopefully they will settle into place.

The fit and finish on forward look cars from new wasn't the bast so refinshing parts definetly has its challenges.

diecast.jpg

diecast1.jpg

diecast2.jpg

just a thought here. Would it help to maybe use cut to down wooden paint stir sticks under your clamps, that might help spread out the pressure you are applying. Looks like a a real battle. Just trying to help. Good luck. Nice pictures. This just shows the amount of effort it takes to restore these cars.

Back