Dual exhaust on a 73 C body ?

Newport73

Reaction score
My 73 Newport is in need of exhaust. I'm thinking on a dual exhaust but I'm not sure if the pipe just goes under the transmission crossmember or do you need one from a dual exhaust car or modify the original one. Thanks

Last edited:
Go for it. No difference in the cross members. Factory duals were on the 383 4bbl cars and the 440HP cars, at least in the sedan/hardtop/convertible body styles. Main things you'll need are the hangers for in front of the muffler and near the back bumper. Walker Exh used to have the OEM-style mounts, so check NAPA for an OEM-type factory replacement exh system. Might end up at Waldrons or TTI.

Do NOT expect miracles as to improved power and normal drive-around performance.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Is there a good exhaust shop in your area that does custom bending? They can make you a dual exhaust system from manifold to exhaust tips. That’s what I did with mine 35 years ago.

My brother in law owns a exhaust shop. He did a great job on my 64 Newyorker. My 62 Saratoga already had duals when I bought it. I was just wondering about the support as I see it notched for the pipe on the right side.

Get yourself a pair of Imperial mufflers, the have the exhaust pipe brought to and away from.
They sound great.

Back