dual quad? 3x2? 361/383/400? 413/426/440? intake questions

B engines:
350, 361, 383, 400. ALL intakes interchange.

RB engines:
59/60 (only) 383, 413, 426 Wedge, 440. ALL intakes interchange.

The dual quad long ram intakes of the early 60's, did they have unique B and RB part numbers? I'm guessing the same manifold would fit both B & RB, but I really don't know.

Stock big block ones are not good for much too short for BBMopar. Big end too big for SBMopar. Aftermarket rods with BBC ends makes possibilities countless.

BBC rods are available to 7.1".

Just order your pistons with a pin setting that puts the piston where you need it.

If you are buying new, there really isn't any reason not to buy a Mopar specific rod. Scat prices for both are pretty close. If you are talking US mfg rods then the BBC will be cheaper.

Kevin

Stock big block ones are not good for much too short for BBMopar. Big end too big for SBMopar. Aftermarket rods with BBC ends makes possibilities countless.
What if the rod is used in a lowdeck motor with a 440 crank with the rod journals ground down to allow the Chevy rods to fit and also offset to increase the stroke from 3.75 t 3.91. Would the rods still be too short ?

Last edited:
Or you could simply buy a stroker kit.
I agree. It would probably be less expensive and less of a head ache in the long run. Back before many of these stroker kits where available engine builders had to improvise and borrow parts to build different stroker combinations. Its good to know this stuff when buying a new set of pistons for your 440. Many aftermarket big block Mopar pistons use Chevy wrist pins and many aftermarket big block Mopar rods have Chevy big ends and require Chevy wrist pins. It saves you the trouble of buying the wrong parts and having to return them.

I would have to do the math, but the BBC stock rods are only 6.135 long, stock low deck rod is 6.358. I am sure that there is combo of 454 piston chevy rod in a 383 block with a certain offset grind on the pin but it is just easier to buy longer rods, shorter pistons that will fit under the heads.
I have tried a thousand combos of parts on paper to fit BBC piston (cheap cast or hypers) and any number of chevy rods to work with a RB crank in a 383 block and everything requires so much extra work you might as well build a 500" out of a 400 in the long run. Unless you know a friend that works at a machine shop that can grind cranks.

so i had some PP and sniped a bid on this, it was too cool to pass up:

offy1.jpg

offy2.jpg

close up :

offy3.jpg

it has a wall inside, but with a cutout at the inner side. one carb chamber is deeper than the other, but the carb chambers are connected left side and right side internally. marked as p/n# 5186 on bottom.

is this a dual plane / 180 ?

none of the pics on the nets look exactly like this one...

they are a straight shot right to the carb bore
offy4.jpg

offy5.jpg

i noticed an M or a W depending on how you look at it :) stamped on the crossover - i guess that means mopar but could mean it was made on monday, or marvin made it, i have no idea.

Yeah that is a strange one, think it would still be classed as a dual plane. It would look cool on a street rod.

Back