Early A727 park lock cable

Sir Dodge alot

Reaction score
As the post is titled, I just wanted to put up photos up here in case someone was having problems assembling their own early A727's park lock cable.

The photos will be clear to see to help the reader visualize the parts that need to secure to.

Anywho, moving on.

The way as I see it, the "T" shaped tooth at the end of the cable goes BEHIND the park pawl,
(area where my finger is pin pointing to)
while the thin piano wire spring goes through the park pawl's little hole to allow the spring/cable to be "spring locked" to the pawl arm, then gently the wire/spring can be cocked to the right so the wire/spring has a 90* angle to secure onto the shoulder of the hole the wire/spring went through.

(Disclaimer: the wire/spring that secures to the pawl is fragile, may break if bent or twisted one to many times)

The cable (previous owner) has JB welded onto the case where the park lock cable is inserted, making the conventional removal of the cable impossible.
(Hence why the park lock cable is dangling with the park lock casing)

Due to the cable being seized in place, I may need to assemble the park lock cable casing to the tail shaft, WHILE the tail shaft is disconnected from the front part of the transmission case.

With the tail shaft case not being bolted to the front part of the transmission, the tailshaft and the cable can be manipulated freely, but the cable being somewhat short in length, I don't believe connecting the park lock cable to the tail shaft THEN bolting down the tail shaft to the front part of the transmission is possible, or just a very roundabout way. Unless the park lock cable is disconnected from the park slider arm in the car on the dashboard.

I'd probably try to get the wire/spring through the hole first then gently pry or pull or yank the "T" shaped part of the cable to bite or set on the other side of the pawl where it will rest.
(The area where the "T" shaped part of the cable is listed in the pictures, where my finger is sitting/pointing to)

You'll probably need a couple long flathead screw drivers to push the cable into position.
A dental pick set works wonders on this type of monotonous type of work.

If you are having trouble or getting irritated trying to get the cable to secure onto the pawl, just walk away for a few minutes, take a mental cigarette, getting angry and forcing parts into place will cause breakage and further cludging up some other kind of contraption to make the park lock work.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I put a couple photos up here to get you scratching your head, and hopefully you'll have an,
"AHA, so that's how it goes!" Moment.

PXL_20240520_225342271.jpg

PXL_20240520_225453171.jpg

PXL_20240520_225502624.jpg

PXL_20240520_225513350.jpg

PXL_20240520_225541041.jpg

Further note: Thank you for reading this far,
I made this post as not much or close to nobody was tinkering with Early A727's with the park lock cable style.

(And I hate the mystery surrounding the whole park lock cable, and wanted to understand it better)

(And photos on FSM's are not clear on the subject and is quite vague at times, mystifying the park lock cable like as if it was Bermuda triangle)

Hopefully some of the mysterious veil has been unshrouded that seems to be surrounding the Early A727 park lock cable system.

Last edited:
Back