Edelbrock 1405 Carb

And depending on how original your car is, be aware that a mix-n-match in the KD linkage can be a real headache.

I went from 318 to a 383/new trans, then to a 440 (same trans), with the 3-piece KD setup of mid-late 60s. Never could get a good adjustment, couldn't get both FT and full KD. So I chose good transmission shifting - no sense getting FT and burning a trans in the process.

Several years later, working on another 383/727 on a break-in cart, I dipped into the parts box and found some pieces to work. It was easy to set FT and full KD on the trans, then find linkage pieces to fit (it was all very accessible). While doing so, I found the rod that goes upward at the rear of the engine, I had 2 rods in 2 different lengths, and only one would adjust correctly - the shorter one. So that got me to thinkin', and I pulled the rod from my car and compared, and it matched the shorter one (from when the 383 was in there). I put the longer one in and it drives like a completely different car now. The 440 2-barrel was fun but now it has secondaries!

Back