Engine trouble..

Had a similar problem about 12 years ago on a long trip. Had to keep filing the points to limp home. Installed new points and condenser and life has been good since then.

Is the problem just better without the advance or totally gone? Too much total timing will make it run poorly. What are the plug wires like?

If it is still on points, they should be changed. If they are not set properly and in good shape the coil will not saturate enough to create a hot enough spark to handle load/rpm.
That's where I would start.

70bigblockdodge: you're a genius :thankyou:
I installed some new points which were still laying in the glovebox since I got the car some 10 years ago.
Had to figure out how to and look up the specs but I managed it . . .
Engine fired up right away and runs great :thumbsup: No more hesitating, stumbling or whatever when revving up..
How a relativly simple thing can make a change..

Maybe time for changing points ??:rolleyes:
No points on mine, the distributor just must be weighted right for the engine to not require any vacuum advance.

No points on mine, the distributor just must be weighted right for the engine to not require any vacuum advance.
You just need to tighten the spring in the vacuum advance canister. It will get better MPG and make those new rings last longer.

Watch that genius talk, may go to my head. LOL Glad your up and running.

Last edited:
You just need to tighten the spring in the vacuum advance canister. It will get better MPG and make those new rings last longer.

x2. Take and 11/32d allen wrench and stick it into the nipple on the vacuum pod. You'll feel it when it engages the hex inside there. Turn it two complete turns counter clockwise, then pul the hose back in. If it does it still, go another 2 turns and drive again. If it sill does it, get a vacuum tester ($15) and test it to see if it's good. With the advance functioning you will feel a difference.

Finally got the time to finetune the engine after new points, coil and sparkplugs.
Also bought a vacuum tester and adjusted the timing and carb.
In my opinion engine runs better than ever before. No more hickups and a quick response on the trottle.
Before that I could not floor the pedal from idle because the engine hesitated. Now it picks right up and of she goes...
Only one thing I'm not sure about. Engine runs about 700 RPM at idle and runs steady...but my tachometer reads some fluctuations. I can't hear it so is it the tachometer ??
Made a little video of it:

Back