Exhaust Lesson: Resonators?

O.K. Mr Guru Stan Sir. When I built the exhaust system for the Batwagon I duplicated the design of the AAR Cuda system only I did it in 2 1/2" instead of the AARs 1 7/8". 2 1/2" S.S. all the way back from the cast iron headers to the S.S. Flowmaster reverse flow 2 1/2" in and 2 1/2" out to the reverse bend and then out thru' '71 Dodge-Plymouth fluted S.S. tips. No X over, no H pipe, just 2 seperate 2 1/2" systems all the way back dumpin' fumes. How do I quiet that system down because from what I'm hearing here adding resonators up stream is pi**in' in the wind? I love sound the way it has but I can not carry on a conversation with any one riding in the beast without hollering and the AM and AM-FM-CD-cassette and the serius radio tunes were a compleat waist of $ because the decibel level of the exhaust is in the stratosphere. Those reverse flow Flowmasters worked fine for Jack Rousch and the 5 liter 'Stangs he sent down the road in the early 2000 years. I can't believe my 440 makes that much more noise the 5 liters 302s with the huffers he hung on 'um! Whatz my fix oh Guru?

I am glad you brought this up. I have not spent any time under my wagon yet and made the Assuming mistake. I assumed that there would be room for resonators, I mean in a car this size how could there not be. I think the addition of an H / X pipe may be part of the solution. Since space is a concern I wonder if there is somewhere that the pipes can be siamesed together similar to some of the later model performance cars (SRT8 Challenger for example). I also remembered that Chevrolet made a chambered exhaust on the '69 Camaros that was not much larger than the exhaust pipe itself. If you used that in conjunction with your current exhaust and trimmed the length to tune the sound would that dampen the sound enough to make conversation and music more easily heard? I know the Camaro mufflers were loud when used alone, but the restriction was supposed to be really low. I remember going with a friend to pick up his new car an being stopped on the way home for loud pipes.

In my opinion, a lot of the newer cars sound shitty with aftermarket exhaust because of the X pipe. I hate the raspy sound they produce.

Might be worth a shot 66/440,Thanks I'll check 'um out. Manderal bendz being the key word here of course. BTW, If you're going to haul a wagon with your long roof, I'd like to suggest ah couple thingz to you in your best interest and being ah retarted...ah retired big rigger I'll just say it! 1st is a Reese class "C" hitch with torsion bars.(I think they still make 'um) The 2nd thing iz a set of Air Shocks for your rear axle on the long roof. You'll probably have $500 or maybe ah bit more invested in those two items but you'll survive every long haul journey without winding up in the pucker brush so you can go do it again. Jes don't try to make it from Orange to the Paso in one day 'cuz you'll be all tuckered out before yeah even git into Big Bend country, Jer

Might be worth a shot 66/440,Thanks I'll check 'um out. Manderal bendz being the key word here of course. BTW, If you're going to haul a wagon with your long roof, I'd like to suggest ah couple thingz to you in your best interest and being ah retarted...ah retired big rigger I'll just say it! 1st is a Reese class "C" hitch with torsion bars.(I think they still make 'um) The 2nd thing iz a set of Air Shocks for your rear axle on the long roof. You'll probably have $500 or maybe ah bit more invested in those two items but you'll survive every long haul journey without winding up in the pucker brush so you can go do it again. Jes don't try to make it from Orange to the Paso in one day 'cuz you'll be all tuckered out before yeah even git into Big Bend country, Jer

Thanks for the tips. I had forgotten about the Reese torsion bar hitches. I have the self leveling air suspension but never had much luck with the air shocks seems like they always were leaking and sagging. Was considering replacing the shocks with the coil spring overload type. If anybody has had any experience with this I would appreciate hearing your opinions / experience. I plan on using the wagon as part of a marketing program ( get to expense repairs and improvements) and that means other folks will be driving it from time to time to trade shows etc. I have already decided that the drivers will take some driving classes that focus on towing, road manners and maybe some common sense if it is offered. Looking for a small Airstream to complete the package so there will be lots going on.
Yes Orange to El Paso is a pull even if you are used to lots of seat time. I did a Houston - Panama City - Houston trip a couple of years ago with a two hour turn around in Panama City. That was truly a butt whup 'n.

My mom had Orange peelers on her 64 Coronet 4 door with the 426 wedge. That thing sounded awesome. When she hit the gas it would make a nice rumble, when let off it would make this fantastic GRRRRR sound. Can you still by them?

Back