Exner

The 1962 models were designed by Exner, both the initial full-size models and the final intermediate size.

Exner had his heart attack late in 1956 but he was back to work by 1958. In the meantime Chrysler had hired (under contract) former Ford and Packard designer William G. Schmidt to head Chrysler styling while Exner was recuperating. Schmidt was still at Chrysler at the beginning of 1959 and Exner became concerned about his position.

Thus the new designs for 1962 (the S series) were presented early in 1959. The Plymouth, Dodge and Imperial were almost there a few months later, as far as production goes, but the DeSoto and Chrysler were miles away. If you see photos of new Mopar designs with artist renderings on the wall (the Valiant and Lancer were just about the same as produced in 1962) you have the almost-there stage of the S series.

Bill
Vancouver, BC

To continue, Schmidt left Chrysler later in 1959, and work continued on the S series. Then came 1960 and the decision to shrink the Plymouth and Dodge, which also resulted in abandoning the medium-priced Dodge Polara.

The intermediate Plymouths and Dodges were all but ready by June, 1960, and work was progessing on the tooling. Shortly after Chrysler management had second thoughts about the 1962 styling, and ordered new front clips for the 1963 Plymouth and Dodge.

Chrysler management was fired later in 1960 and the new management early in 1961 ordered the rear styling and roof line be changed for the 1963 Plymouth and Dodge. They knew they had a disaster on their hands and the 1962 models were not even in production yet.

Exner was fired in Otober, 1961, after the new 1962 models were introduced. Someone had to hold the blame for the styling disaster. Elwood Engel was hired to head Chrysler styling. The 1963 models, by the way, are the work of Exner.

Can anyone name one stylist at the big three today?
Don't need real stylists like Exner, Engle etc. to design suvs & pickups.

Can anyone name one stylist at the big three today?
Don't need real stylists like Exner, Engle etc. to design suvs & pickups.
Those positions don't exist anymore. For a new model, manufacturers set up "styling studios" staffed by kids and the design is determined by focus groups mostly made up of hip people from gentrified neighborhoods.

Today styling is done by platform, not make. As a result Chrysler has a group of stylists working on the Dart platform, another group on the 200 (and Avenger when it was around) and a third on the RWD platform (Challenger, Charger, 300).

Back in the 1960's and 1970's the styling group for Plymouth would work on all bodies used by Plymouth (A, F, E, B, C, M, R, etc.). The same was true for Dodge and Chrysler studios.

Design by committee might explain why so few new vehicles raise my heartbeat nowadays.

Last edited:
Presently trying to dig some photos of the S series cars and the Plymouth and Dart designs before they were approved.

Would also like to point out that Exner ran his styling studio in the same manner as Earl, Mitchell, Gregorie, Engel, and the rest, including Loewy. The styling directors were just that - directors. The actual illustrations and models were done by the staff. The directors guided the staff down the road to the goals the director laid out. Which is why you see illustrations of bodies, grilles, rear ends, etc. All ideas being put up to show the director who would chose the ones that best fit what they were working toward.

Exner once complained about the fact that Loewy never mentioned the stylists who actually came up with the designs that were actually used. Yet when he became head of Chrysler styling in 1952 he followed Loewy's example. In designing the 1955 models, his right hand man was Henry King who took on the responsibility for the Plymouth and Dodge models. The only person Exner ever publicly acknowledged.

View attachment 107137 Ive wanted certain cars before they became outrageous expensive,

I saw my first 61 Fury convertible in 1965, wanted it bad....! Dad was my co signer then and wanted nothing to do with a convertible.
It took until 2012 to find another one, and I've got it. It's a highly optioned, 45K mile example that has suffered from poor storage.
I can't wait to get after the restoration but am holding off until I can do it right and in a timely manner.
I wonder if this is the same '61 fury convertible used in the tv show Crime Story . There is 1 like yours in the show.

IIRC, Exner designed the 1963 Turbine Ghia. It's in the WPC Museum.

Exner had little, if nothing to do with the 1963 Turbine Ghia. It is widely attributed to Engel. The resemblance to the 1961 Thunderbird (an Engel led design) is revealing.

...Would also like to point out that Exner ran his styling studio in the same manner as Earl, Mitchell, Gregorie, Engel, and the rest, including Loewy. The styling directors were just that - directors. The actual illustrations and models were done by the staff. The directors guided the staff down the road to the goals the director laid out....

Excellent point. The role of the design director is indispensable. There used to be (and is) a constant arm wrestling going on btw the bean counters, and the designers. It takes a tough guy to defend the designers' solutions. Many, if not all, in the top brass are like barracudas who would sell their own granny is someone offered enough money.
Late Bill Mitchell of GM was pretty good in his time. A tough, straight talking guy, and difficult to beat in a battle. That is why they chose a good mannered, but harmless successor to him.

Exner... In designing the 1955 models, his right hand man was Henry King who took on the responsibility for the Plymouth and Dodge models. The only person Exner ever publicly acknowledged.

As far as I know, Henry King was there before Exner. He led Chrysler Design from 1944, heading a team of 17 persons. King retained that position even after August 1949, when K.T. Keller hired Exner to lead the Advanced Design Studios, a separate team whipped up by Keller there and then just for Exner, who was 40 years old at the time. Therefore I would not say he ever was Exner's "right hand man". He was Exner's boss, at the time. - To me the '55 cars don't look radically different from the '54 Chryslers, in spite of all the period hype. And a popular story goes, that Exner was asked how he liked the intended '55 design. He is told to have responded saying they were a disaster, and being given the responsibility to fix that. Jumping on an opportunity, he did just that. The rest is history.

Last edited:
I have passed through the sections discussing the 57-59 cars and also the cars from 60 - 62 and found the book much lacking in the information I was hoping to find out just who did what in the design studios and wished there was more detail on how the designs evolved into the production versions, but it just wasn't there.

Exactly my thoughts, too.

Mostly discussion of the specialty Ghia show cars that Exner was so keen on, but which I never really thought looked that close to the production models...

To me the Chrysler-Ghia show cars have always looked better, more balanced designs than the explicitly Exner designed ones. Exner had his penchant for projecting fender blades, front and rear. A design theme which is difficult to blend into a modern fuselage-type body.

... in fact, it makes me wonder just how much of the production models was Exner vs others who were part of the design staff? I would have liked a lot more detail on how the decisions were made...

A most important point. In spite of the fact that the designs rights were owned by Chrysler, there were people behind those designs. And people interact. Good leaders equals good processes, and vice versa.

Just checked the shipping status on my Exner book....Jan 3rd. Last time I order anything from this seller.

Did anyone go to off site meeting (at some hotel) in Carlisle a year or two ago, and hear what Exner's son had to say about his Dad and his car designs?

Also, did anyone go to the current value of C-Bodies discussion at the last Carlisle show?

Did anyone go to off site meeting (at some hotel) in Carlisle a year or two ago, and hear what Exner's son had to say about his Dad and his car designs?

Jazabelle was invited to be part of a special display, (Full sized American convertibles), at the Concourse D'Elegance of America in 2013. Exner designs were featured at that event and Virgil Exner Jr was part of a design panel that gave a 2 hour seminar. Ellie and I enjoyed that.

Last edited:
Jazabelle was invited to be part of a special display, (Full sized American convertibles), at the Concourse D'Elegance of America in 2013. Exner designs were featured at that event and Virgil Exner Jr was part of a design panel that gave a 2 hour seminar. Ellie and I enjoyed that.

I remember that Will. Congratulations again!

Very deserving!

Back