Exploring Portugal before going to BBTR

RetroRoadster

Reaction score
My wife and I are starting to map out a 2-week trip to Portugal next summer. I'm hoping those of you who have visited Portugal previously can offer some trip planning tips and recommendations.

What are some of your favorite destinations we shouldn't miss seeing? The Algarve region looks beautiful in photos but it also seems quite touristy - are there any lesser known areas along the coast that are also worth checking out? We enjoy beaches but also love architecture, history and good food.

Any recommendations for affordable but nice places to stay would also be appreciated. Our budget is reasonable but we'd like to save some funds for going to Germany afterwards to meet up with a friend. They've offered to take us to BBTR which will be held on July 4~6 2025.

Thanks in advance for your insight and recommendations!

Hello @RetroRoadster back around 2015 when me and My wife visited Portugal, we visited around Sintra it was beautiful because of its moorish castle and quaint village that looks like a perfect postcard and also a it is an easy day trip from lisbon and Douro Valley if you are interested in wine. In terms of the coast, we really enjoyed the lesser known silver coast area like Nazaré - beautiful beaches and cliffs but not as packed as Algarve. For accommodation, we stayed in guesthouses and Pousadas (government-run historic inns) which were very affordable and memorable experiences. and also I recommend you to hire a local guide they are also helpful.

I want to chime in on this thread because I am giving some thought to attending BBTR in 2025. I would also combine that with touring Europe. In my dream scenario, I would ship over a car to drive, but I have no idea what that would entail. (Perhaps even sell it while there) Unfortunately the car best suited for this would be my formal era 76 Royal Monaco, which would be sadly unwelcome. I wish the show was open for slabsides and formals, just group them in a different area for the photo shoots.

Screenshot_20221107-101445.png

Hello @RetroRoadster back around 2015 when me and My wife visited Portugal, we visited around Sintra it was beautiful because of its moorish castle and quaint village that looks like a perfect postcard and also a it is an easy day trip from lisbon and Douro Valley if you are interested in wine. In terms of the coast, we really enjoyed the lesser known silver coast area like Nazaré - beautiful beaches and cliffs but not as packed as Algarve. For accommodation, we stayed in guesthouses and Pousadas (government-run historic inns) which were very affordable and memorable experiences. and also I recommend you to hire a local guide they are also helpful.
Thank you so much for the recommendations, @CharlieBody! Sintra and the Douro Valley definitely sound like must-sees given our interests. We'll be sure to check out the lesser known beaches in the Silver Coast region as well. Great tip on staying in guesthouses and Pousadas - having memorable accommodation experiences is something we enjoy too. Booking through a local guide is also a wonderful idea if we like to explore unpopular destinations. We are leaning on Sintra Private Tours & Local Tour Guides to introduce us to Sintra. I really appreciate you sharing your insights from your Portugal trip in 2015. This gives us a great starting point to map things out. Thanks again!

I want to chime in on this thread because I am giving some thought to attending BBTR in 2025. I would also combine that with touring Europe. In my dream scenario, I would ship over a car to drive, but I have no idea what that would entail. (Perhaps even sell it while there) Unfortunately the car best suited for this would be my formal era 76 Royal Monaco, which would be sadly unwelcome. I wish the show was open for slabsides and formals, just group them in a different area for the photo shoots.

View attachment 678110
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about potentially attending BBTR in 2025. You make a great point about the challenges of shipping a car from the US. I've heard the logistics and costs can quickly add up. Have you considered renting a classic car instead? This could save you money to explore more of Europe.

I was lucky enough to be invited by a friend to attend BBTR, but I'm still unsure what car he'll be bringing. Safe travels as you plan your European adventure, and hopefully, you'll be able to make it to BBTR next year!

Back