Fender skirt install help.

wiggilez

Reaction score
I'm trying to install the fender skirts that came with my car. But I cannot figure out how the 2 small tabs are suppose connect.
1000011326.jpg

This is just the center bar. But it's not really secure.
1000011314.jpg

Here is the other side on the bench to see the tabs I'm talking about.

1000011319.jpg
1000011321.jpg
1000011323.jpg
1000011324.jpg

Here it is on the car, I can't find a way that inspires much confidence when tightening on the 2 small tabs.

My owners manual isn't any help either.

I've fiddle around with them some more. I've got something that I think will work. That said im still not convinced its right. To dark for pictures now. I'll post them in a few days when I'm back from my camping trip.

Problem is that those are aftermarket items.

One the OEM skirts on our '66 Newport Town Sedan, there is a dowel on the front of the skirt which indexes with a hole in the wheel opening edge. Insert dowel in hole and pivot the rear upward into the opening, with the crank handle extended downward. Fully seat the skirt to the wheel opening area, which should also index a rear locating item. Then move the crank upward to pull the skirt upward. When at the 2:45 angle, move the crank toward the wheel and let it lock into place on the back of the skirt, out of sight.

Might be something in the "How to Change A Tire" section of the FSM, but only Fury IIIs and VIPS had OEM fender skirts, usually, as standard equipment. Nor were they as tall as the aftermarket items, like you have.

I suspect the wing nut adjustments are to fine-tune the fit.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I agree. I believe those are after market skirts. they don't attach the same way as the optional factory skirts do on my 66 Polara. On mine, there are two locating pins attached to the wheel opening and then a lever in the center clamps down on the upper wheel lip.

new hampshire blue vert 3.jpg

Back