Formal Hubcaps on a Slab?

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well cruising season is brewing here in Southern California. There’s been car shows almost every week here in Santa Maria!! Lots of beautiful cars, still no Mopars.

I did well and recently scored a set of disc brake hubcaps! While browsing Instagram I came across a Lowrider 77 New Yorker running factory hubcaps. I’ve never paid attention, but my goodness - these have to be the prettiest set of hubcaps I’ve seen…

IMG_4976.jpeg

They look really deep though! Did Formals run steel rims with a different offset than our earlier Slabs? I may have to look into a set of these for my ride now …

Those wheel covers came on Formals with 15x6 wheels, from the factory. I would be more concerned about them clearing the rear fender skirts on 15x6 factory wheels. But probably no more outward extension than the 15" disc brake wheel covers for 1968 Dodges, I suspect

Those wheel covers came on Formals with 15x6 wheels, from the factory. I would be more concerned about them clearing the rear fender skirts on 15x6 factory wheels. But probably no more outward extension than the 15" disc brake wheel covers for 1968 Dodges, I suspect

I thought about the rear skirts! One common practice here is to shorten the axels to allow for wheels with reverse offset that normally wouldn’t fit. There’s a shop in town that does it on the regular. Guess I’d have to find a cheap set and see if they’d work!

Once you narrow the axle housing and shorten the axle shafts, that pretty much is a "no return" situation. Rather than the option of "going back". Unless you want to change the rear axle to a normal one.

The OTHER situation is that the reverse offset wheels put more loads on the wheel bearings, greater loads, which might compromise ultimate durability and longevity.

I can't say whether they would fit or not, but they do give a wire wheel look, which is kind of traditional on low riders, no?

Yes sir! Thats what drew me to them.

I can truly say I think these are the most beautiful Chrysler caps I’ve ever seen. Even cooler than the 61 Polara hubcaps.

Funny enough, Lowrider guys LOVE Mopar hubcaps. They are on almost every “Bomb” in town. Namely Dodge Lancer hubcaps. Bombs are typically ‘30s to early ‘50s lowriders all done up with pretty much the most factory accessories you can find.

IMG_4888.jpeg

Here’s an example of a Lowrider ‘39 Buick decked out with a lot of accessories

Well cruising season is brewing here in Southern California. There’s been car shows almost every week here in Santa Maria!! Lots of beautiful cars, still no Mopars.

I did well and recently scored a set of disc brake hubcaps! While browsing Instagram I came across a Lowrider 77 New Yorker running factory hubcaps. I’ve never paid attention, but my goodness - these have to be the prettiest set of hubcaps I’ve seen…

View attachment 658028

They look really deep though! Did Formals run steel rims with a different offset than our earlier Slabs? I may have to look into a set of these for my ride now …
That version is '74-6 Chrysler only. They also made a similar version that didn't have the Chrysler center. Instead it has a plain octagonal nut type center. They came on a variety of '74-8 Mopars including trucks!

Once you narrow the axle housing and shorten the axle shafts, that pretty much is a "no return" situation. Rather than the option of "going back". Unless you want to change the rear axle to a normal one.

The OTHER situation is that the reverse offset wheels put more loads on the wheel bearings, greater loads, which might compromise ultimate durability and longevity.
Years ago, my dad attempted to widen the rear track of his then-late-model 1972 Dodge motorhome (single-wheel B-van cutaway) by replacing the stock rims with the type of Budds used with duals, with reverse offset. On the maiden voyage, it lost four of the eight lug bolts—sheared right off—over the course of about, well I don’t remember; I was just eight years old. (I’m guessing that the last two came off in quicker succession because of the load being spread over fewer and fewer lugs.) My parents got good use of AAA to get to a garage. Much of the details are lost to time. Dad had the axle refitted with larger lugs. The subsequent owner had a proper dually set installed.

Come to think of it, it was while stranded at the repair shop/gas station, as the RV was getting worked on, that I first saw saw a brand-new ’74 Chrysler (a Newport Custom).

Back