Formal WIW

streetmachine

Reaction score
Is a supposed running driving '78 New Yorker with a 400 that's a little rusty, AC doesn't work but, has the roads wheels worth $900 plus shipping? Sorry the car is out of state. Just curious what your thoughts are? Thank you.

Here's some of the photos.

IMG_4314.JPG

IMG_4316.JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

The car itself is worth the 900 bucks and I'd say it depends on what your plans are for it makes a difference on how much more than that it's worth. (Not one of my better sentences...)

The car itself is worth the 900 bucks and I'd say it depends on what your plans are for it makes a difference on how much more than that it's worth. (Not one of my better sentences...)

:stop:........:wtf:..........:BangHead:...........:eek::eek:"""

YEAH !!! What he said .........:thumbsup:

Thank you guys. I requested a video of the car running before I decide to pull the trigger. I haven't received that yet so we'll see. My goal was to have a cheap (rough) cruiser to have some fun in. We'll see if the video gets sent.

Thank you guys. I requested a video of the car running before I decide to pull the trigger. I haven't received that yet so we'll see. My goal was to have a cheap (rough) cruiser to have some fun in. We'll see if the video gets sent.
The rust shown is standard... price goes up as you find less of it. You really need a lift and a super careful inspection to find the other spots I'm aware of... oh and the rear door jamb dog leg and rockers. You might find a rusty cowl if you try a car wash... but the seals for the hard top glass will likely distract you if you ride through in the car.:rolleyes:

$900 if roadworthy is great. Once you fall in love, this girl is gonna get expensive though:poke:

We really need more pictures, Road Wheels are worth $100 to $300 depending on condition and who you sell them to. Decent complete driver's =$200. So $700 for a runner seems a no brainer, even if she becomes a future parts car... and she won't get smashed.

IDK where you are, a nice thing to add to a profile for times like this, but if you're in a cooler climate the interior may not be toast yet. Decent seats and door panels are worth something (not much), but to the right Formal owner clean replacements are difficult to find... and we seem to get color specific folks who don't want to deal with dye. There may be enough left of this one to be profitable and fair.

The down side of the 78 is the wiper cam, don't stress it if working, and plan on needing a replacement arrangement that will require minor welding or an entire transmission/motor/switch from an earlier car. Some just rely on rainx, but that's not my typical M.O.

Go get her and run her, I don't see how you could lose doing that.

Thank you all. Looks the seller either changed his mind or sold the car. I reside in Indiana (not from here) but, the car was in South Dakota. I had requested a video of the car yesterday running and the seller said sure "no problem" and never heard anything back after I had asked twice.

So, I would of been into the car for $900 plus shipping but, without knowing if it even run if I would just threw my money at him. Anyways, I don't know the fate of this one but, either way I'll just continue on my way. Thank you everyone again.

What are your plans for the car? $900 kind of indicates it is a parts car at best.

Thank god we all don't feel the same, there'd be a lot more demolition derbies...
You make a valid counterpoint, Matt. My viewpoint is that I was thinking of this situation in terms of sparing him a money pit that would leave him bitter in the future. Have we not already seen this a few times here on FCBO?

As any kind of Fix It While You Drive car, I'd run away.
I've just learned this lesson.

Thank god we all don't feel the same, there'd be a lot more demolition derbies...
Gotta take a chance, right?

You make a valid counterpoint, Matt. My viewpoint is that I was thinking of this situation in terms of sparing him a money pit that would leave him bitter in the future. Have we not already seen this a few times here on FCBO?
I'm stuck in the middle here. I agree that buying something that runs and drives while you fix it can be a good thing, it gives you something on the cheap(ish) and you're not stuck looking at a car that doesn't work and progress may occur, but not much changes visually. But yes, a money pit they can become. I've spent plenty of my other cars funds on the Polara, but I've also developed a love of my car I never planned on. To the point I want more of them! But I wouldn't have it any other way and I can't wait for the next part, car, or parts car to come along! It's been an awesome journey so far, and I can't wait to see where it takes me. That said, after my 3 projects are finished, I'm buying something done!

IMHO, given what the prices are with Formals, I wouldn't buy a project. It doesn't make any sense... You could easily buy one that's pretty nice for much less than the cost to restore one.

I could of bought 2 low mileage rust free formals for the money I have in my 78 NYB......

Back