Frame or no frame?

Snailhouse_projects

Reaction score
Alright guys, I have been talking with a company on designing a rear air bag set up for the Yorker, and we talked about measurements and the question came up if the car had a frame or a unibody.... So naturally it go out and poke my head under the rear bumper of the car and see frame rails... Well I get a call today and he asked me to get the height of the frame rail from 40" in front of the axle. I finally wedge myself under the car and see the frame disappears under the driver door... POOP! I didn't know it didn't have a frame! Or does it? Help me out gurus! When I get a definite answer I can relay it to him and then we can start the bags.....

Thanks fellas

Barnabie

There is a frame, it is integral with the body, it isn’t detachable (in the rear).
These are considered unit-body cars, at least in part as the front frame is removable.

Alan

Bagging the rear is simple, it's the front that's impossible without chopping the frame.

Bagging the rear is simple, it's the front that's impossible without chopping the frame.
I told you to turn the project and your CC over to me...

DSCN0969.jpg

They sell universal kits that can bolt right up to the rear of your car. "Air over leaf" and depends on how low you want to go. I ran airshocks for the longest time before I went with hydros.

They sell universal kits that can bolt right up to the rear of your car. "Air over leaf" and depends on how low you want to go. I ran airshocks for the longest time before I went with hydros.

I want the back as low as I can get it, and the front will be as is for now.... right now I'm thinking of running a 2 link with a panhard and depending on how low I can go I may go bag on bar and notch the rear a bit to tuck hard... if I go bag on axle its going to be the same as going bag on leaf.... that thread that was on los bulevardos was very informational for the front to get low.... are you still running leafs out back on your set up?

I am still running 2 leafs with 3" blocks with the hydros installed off the side of the frame. I didnt have the money or the proper equipment to install a linkage set up. I'm not sure how your floor or frame is set up in the rear but I had to raise the drive shaft tunnel over 2" to get where I wanted. Here's my build thread on the LBCC. Unfortunately I dont have any of the hydro installation, since I farmed it out.

http://www.losboulevardosmessageboard.com/showthread.php?4939-1968-Chrysler-New-Yorker

I am still running 2 leafs with 3" blocks with the hydros installed off the side of the frame. I didnt have the money or the proper equipment to install a linkage set up. I'm not sure how your floor or frame is set up in the rear but I had to raise the drive shaft tunnel over 2" to get where I wanted. Here's my build thread on the LBCC. Unfortunately I dont have any of the hydro installation, since I farmed it out.

http://www.losboulevardosmessageboard.com/showthread.php?4939-1968-Chrysler-New-Yorker

right on, I tried to register to see all the pictures but it said that an admin disabled it.... love the lace job you did on it!

They are pretty tough about who they let in. No jokers. I can get you signed up if you're serious.

Thanks man! The roof project was a blast.

They are pretty tough about who they let in. No jokers. I can get you signed up if you're serious.

Thanks man! The roof project was a blast.

id like to get in there because there seems to be a lot of good builds and lots of activity too. would it be a problem if im in a different car club?

That link to the dry dock is my car.
Yes it has airbags and 4 link in the rear, the front was gonna be too much work. I don't really know if its a great idea or not. I like the look of my car, others don't. It cost quite a bit of coin to do my setup. It has a crap load of traction and corners like on rails, but sometimes the bags can be bouncy when over inflated or if using weak shocks. I now use rancho shocks out of a chevy 4 x 4 and they work good

Last edited:
Oh yea... the air bags also ruin rear shocks really fast,i just put in the 3rd set in 7 years
the airbag setup has also broken down 3 times in that 7 years. once was the main fuse to the compressor popped, and twice the relay to the bags burnt out.

Last edited:
Back