Front Suspension Strut Bar Removal?

No,I've actually got the control arm side removed,but I was thinking of that also,but there is still nothing to keep that side from spinning.
I tried holding the inner portion of the bar with vise grips and a pipe wrench but it keeps spinning every time I try to remove the front nut.

No,I've actually got the control arm side removed,but I was thinking of that also,but there is still nothing to keep that side from spinning.
I tried holding the inner portion of the bar with vise grips and a pipe wrench but it keeps spinning every time I try to remove the front nut.

The quick jolt and torque of the impact gun will loosen it.

Did you take out the roll pin or it may have been changed to a cotter pin
What are you referring to? The nut that attaches it to the lower control arm has been removed.Now I'm trying to remove the front nut that holds the strut rod shaft to the front frame support(near the radiator support).When I try turning the nut to break it loose the whole shaft turns with the nut.

I would lock down the nut on the lower arm tight, then put a little heat on the front nut and remove that first. Then zip off the rear nut last. John.

There should be a roll pin through a hole in strut bar keeps the nut from spinning itself off. A lot of times its rusted and doesn't look like much but it will not let nut come off

The factory uses a roll pin where you see the cotter pin in this pic. It has to be driven out first.

2hxq59e.jpg

To keep the strut from spinning while removing the nut, I stuck a rod through one of the mounting holes at the other end so that as the strut rotated, the bar jammed against the frame keeping that end from spinning any further. IIRC, I actually used a super long screwdriver. Can't remember if it survived, though.

24w6d7m.jpg

When i tore apart my 50 year old suspension, I just hit everything with the impact gun and never had any issues. The strut bars came right off. Being as the control arm end came right off, maybe you should torque that side back to spec and remove the front bolt first then hit the back with the gun. The rear will come off with ease.

When i tore apart my 50 year old suspension, I just hit everything with the impact gun and never had any issues. The strut bars came right off. Being as the control arm end came right off, maybe you should torque that side back to spec and remove the front bolt first then hit the back with the gun. The rear will come off with ease.

Most of my suspension came off without too much effort,and I really don't have any rusty parts to deal with,so I'm going to try using an impact gun first,then maybe add some heat and try again.

Back