good thing nothing embarasses me anymore

marko

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
well, decided to go the low buck route with the roof on the 72 joe yorker.
its a rusty low option car and i didnt want to spend alot on getting the roof sealed and more presentable.
this car is just getting made safe & reliable, no new paint or rust repair.
after removing the cracked vinyl top and cleaning the roof i decided to try flex seal.....
i got the colored stuff, thought black or white would be too much of a contrast.
i picked "almond" because it was closest to the gold or tan roof offered in 72.
it went on well, even has a nice texture that sort of mimics the vinyl.

HOWEVER what flex seal calls "almond" doesnt really look like what i would call almond.
its kind of a rancid peach /creamsicle........

the pics dont show how awful it is in real life.
it gets alot of attention

the good thing is it has sealed the surface nicely and after it has had some more time to cure it can be painted.
so i will prob look at doing it gold/tan.
im not really getting a clear answer from flex seal about what kind of paint i can use, they just say use latex.
my paint guy says use vinyl paint so i might look into a metallic vinyl paint.
anyway, still cheaper than a vinyl top hehe.

20240509_193423_resized_1.jpg

20240509_193443_resized_1.jpg

20240522_210948_resized.jpg

20240522_193737_resized.jpg

20240523_130506_resized.jpg

20240529_165232_resized.jpg

20240523_130518_resized_1.jpg

20240529_185037.jpg

An interesting solution to a costly problem if done to OEM levels.

If using latex paint, head to Lowes or Home Depot and go through their chip charts for a Chrysler factory "close match" and apply it with a nappy roller. NO sprays! DO mask everything off, though.

Might even put the C-pillar emblems in "a box" and later fill it in with a black-type paint for contrast?

With some finesse, might seek to shoot it a bit drier in the final coats to mimic the "Levant" grain vinyl roof fabric, if possible.

Congrats!
CBODY67

Its shining like a bald man!
I think the sheen is worse than the color..... it looks better than rust tho lol.

My experience with flexseal is it doesn’t do well under constant sunlight/UV. It breaks down very quickly, so keep an eye on it.

I see trucks and off road guys using bed liner on roofs, that has UV protection. How hard is the seal to remove if you wanted to in the future?

Looks good, nice work around. After it cures any Rust-O-leum 2X in a rattle can will work. I 'd go with a Satin finish, and there are hundreds of colors to choose.

I used Raptor bedliner for my floor/under belly. You can adjust air pressure to vary texture and it can be tinted to your desire. Real easy to apply.
Mike

Back