For Sale Gorgeous '66 Belvedere

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, boys and girls, you can indeed have a "numbers-matching" pre-'68 Mopar!!!

Yes you're right patrick66. The general use of the "numbers matching" term in my opinion (and I suspect others as well), has a meaning that the pre-68s weren't capable of meeting. When I see the term used on something for sale that predates the "drive train VIN" era, I just assume the seller is erroneously embellishing their ad unless they back up their declaration with some semblance of knowledge on the subject. This Belvedere seller may have gone to the trouble of checking casting dates/numbers and such. If they did check 'everything' for proper date codes before they declared "all numbers matching" in their ad, my hat is off the them. That's not a simple 5-minute job.

To a Chevy Guy, the same kind of engine is as good as matching to them!(except Corvette guys, I've heard)
Try numbers matching a 60's ford. Good luck with that!

I like that Poly 318. The first year for that is in my 56' Plymouth. a screaming 180 HP gem. I'm still looking for a 59' 326. That was a 265 HP two barrel engine, and would really be fine in my 56. Anybody have one?

The general use of the "numbers matching" term in my opinion (and I suspect others as well), has a meaning that the pre-68s weren't capable of meeting. When I see the term used on something for sale that predates the "drive train VIN" era, I just assume the seller is erroneously embellishing their ad unless they back up their declaration with some semblance of knowledge on the subject. This Belvedere seller may have gone to the trouble of checking casting dates/numbers and such. If they did check 'everything' for proper date codes before they declared "all numbers matching" in their ad, my hat is off the them. That's not a simple 5-minute job.

The ONLY difference in what is considered "numbers-matching" for 1967-earlier, and 1968-newer is the partial VIN in the pan rail and the trans pad. Date codes for individual elements (carb, manifolds, water pump, fuel pump, heads, alternator, and a lot more!) ALL count, not just the VIN numbers. If you really, really want true numbers-matching, ALL of these parts MUST be dated prior to the scheduled build date of the car. Most people wrongly think that if the block and trans are good, then it's all "numbers-matching"...there is a LOT more to it that those two things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back