Got them moved to Fresno!

That trailer is a bit too short to get the car properly placed on the trailer and the GCWR probably far exceeds the Durangos rating . It would be fine for an A Body or modern compact but not C-Bodies….
Anyway glad you made it home safe .

That trailer is a bit too short to get the car properly placed on the trailer and the GCWR probably far exceeds the Durangos rating . It would be fine for an A Body or modern compact but not C-Bodies….
Anyway glad you made it home safe .
Durango's tow rating for the 5.7 is 7400 pounds. He's well within that. The6.4 can tow up to 8700.

Durango's tow rating for the 5.7 is 7400 pounds. He's well within that. The6.4 can tow up to 8700.
With an equalizing hitch , trailer brakes and proper tongue weight maybe … but you can see how it bottomed out the rear springs . I sold trucks for many years . Those tow ratings can be somewhat optimistic especially when it comes to shorter wheelbase rigs .

With an equalizing hitch , trailer brakes and proper tongue weight maybe … but you can see how it bottomed out the rear springs . I sold trucks for many years . Those tow ratings can be somewhat optimistic especially when it comes to shorter wheelbase rigs .
It's bottomed out with the lighter vehicles. The Newport has the rear of the Durango the highest.

He moved three vehicles with that trailer.
The one I said should not be on there is the one that was on there when he needed to stop suddenly and forced another vehicle out of their lane.

Inexperience with using improper equipment will always show up when you need the proper equipment.

Good for them. I spent $220 moving two cars to Fresno last weekend; how much would I have spent using them? And, as has been stated, I made it, all three trips, counting the one three weeks earlier with the Gremlin.

Let it go Buddy, I'm not going to agree with you.

I know there's one person that day who would have rather you hired a transporter.

Sounds like you've been quite the car-moving maestro! Swerving through sways and making it to Fresno, hats off! If you ever find yourself in need of moving tips for things other than cars, threemovers.com might have some insights. Here's to smooth rides and high MPG adventures!

Last edited:
I'm sorry I missed the great trailer debate of 2023. But I had to kick the dust off this one.
The uhaul design has to be the most proven bumper hitch pull car trailer that has ever existed in the history of such things and has likely logged more miles hauling C bodies and all the other cars than any other one type.
It is a brilliant design the result having the most R&D and test time. It does the job does not overwhelmed renters and is fairly resistant to destruction caused by hapless morons

Sure one could design a better trailer for nothing but c body mopars but there is no market for that. There have sacrifices made in the design but to change anything would come with some sort of trade off.

Setting back the deck a little would help with large overhang vehicles, lengthen the tongue a little for freeway speed stability.

But all around the tongue length is long enough to be stable with most anything you load on it, yet shorter enough to jack nice in a back yard to enable loading and unloading. The bobtail rear deck reduces drag in and out of transitions but is still long enough for a C body or a pickup.

I have hauled more than I can ever recall with these trailers and have never owned a small car.. B&C Bodies Gm midsized or bigger and trucks. I have hauled a couple of C bodies this fall and will admit the handling was not great on the last one. A 72 Fury that was completely loaded with parts interior and trunk. I could have put some of the stuff or all of it in the back of my truck but it was weather protected in the car and I was able to safely maintain right lane freeway speed on the worst freeway I have ever driven on being SW Washington in prest day. About a 200 mile run loaded no biggie.

I have built car trailers on these dimensions and always advise people that are researching a build to measure up one of these. They are a great starting point.

A friend was lucky enough to get one with a smoked axle out of a desert tow yard. They converted it to axleless for race car hauling. I took that one many 100's of miles freeway and mountain passes. It was pure magic.

When my father inlaw wanted a new race car trailer I took uhaul measurements and built an axless with a couple more feet added to the rear deck with integral rollers built into the rear cross rail because it drags hard on all transitions.

We set the wheels up high, there is only 4 or 5 inches ground clearance from bottom of the deck. The handling is amazing. Low CG. It is a ***** to open doors on a race car but that's a trade off.

He runs down the tongue jack without ever unhooking the truck and the rear deck hits the ground drive off and on with no ramps just a couple 2x4 blocks on the ground for a race car with a low, high capacity oil pan. Nothing needed for a regular car. He has a specific fixed length rear axle tie down. You pull on hook it up roll the car forward until tught then pull down with the front tie downs with are commercial truck ratchet straps fastest process I have ever seen. Great for drag racers. He can blast freeways and deal with dawn and dusk loading and unloading every day when they are super busy at race events.

Sure, it would be a little different if custom built for me. I'm not a drag racer. My father in law certainly loaded and unloaded that trailer more times in his early retirement than I will in my whole life.

Uhauls are rentals and you could get a bad one but they have a pretty good inspection process. I wish they would sell them but it seems they run them for what is the usable life cycle for Uhaul then they squeeze them.

Once in a while they come up, I guess when they get damaged and storage and tow leins come into play.

Anyway, long rant but I think they are a great product. I have the capacity to buy or build whatever I want but for $53 I can save space and rent. If it's not worth $53 which is only %10 of the cost of the damn trailer tires.. I don't need to drag it home!

Back