Head Gasket Question

1966-300

Reaction score
OK I have gotten thru my Cam issues and installed it straight up. All the pistons have been installed and every bearing has the same measurement using the plasti gauge. All is going smoothly. My next problem is the Head Gasket. I purchased a rebuild kit from sumitt and it has been good so far. However when I went to install the head gasket I noted that there is a difference between the new and old gasket. I have attached a picture of the new gasket. Note the slots in 3 positions with the large tab at 12 oclock you will see 3 small slots at approx 10, 12 , 2 oclock. However these slots are not the same size as the cooling port located behind it. Looking at the old removed head gasket it also has slots but they are twice as wide. Looking at all of the other head gaskets on Summit for a Chrysler 383 they all have similar small slots. My question is this right? I have read some internet articles where Chrysler after 1966 were forced to reduce the size of these ports for the EPA emissions??? I have yet to find a gasket where the openings are actually round and line up completely with the cooling ports they all seem to be of this configuration. I am concerned that with such a small opening the heads could overheat?? OK sorry for such a long thread but I just dont want to buy a problem. I plan to contact summit and Fel-Pro to see what they know as well.

photo.jpg

Back