Heavy Metal

USS Mississippi (BB-41) fires a broadside salvo amid a high speed turn while on exercises with the US Navy Pacific Fleet. Ca. June 1919.
b8cblp04yah71.jpg

USS North Carolina (BB-55) getting hull repairs at her berth in Wilmington, NC. Posted in WilmingtonBiz Magazine, June 30, 2021.
rxdnueor2bh71.jpg

American battleship USS Ostfriesland approaches New York on her way from Rosyth. Off Sandy Hook Beach, NJ, 9 August 1920
3zv84zdv85h71.jpg

USS Arizona with a pair of Wickes-class destroyers after completing her modernization, March 1931. Among the changes, a new black powder catapult was added, but its magazine is considered to have inadvertently led to Arizona's destruction at Pearl Harbor
a22pd2st95h71.jpg

about 10 minutes of video.

The Soviet boat engine, Zvezda M503 (3:00 minute mark) is here -- darn thing still scary to be around -- i wouldnt wanna stand next to it.

That Kawasaki 48 cylinder bike engine didnt sound like it was ever running right (7:17 minute mark)

coolest aircraft engine ever -- only cuz I had a chance to be close to one in a past life. Also a buddy (since passed away and sold his plan) had a P51 Mustang with one in it,

Rolls Royce Merlin 1650, built by Packard. 20 mins of Jay Leno, about 12:00 min mark he starts it up outside. Before that, he gives a good history of the engine and how he got it.

Last edited:
USS Prinz Eugen IX-300, formerly the German Admiral Hipper-class Cruiser Prinz Eugen, at Boston Massachusetts in January 1946
y8kz87co72i71.jpg

Battleship Tsesarevich ('Crown Prince') leads Slava, Andrei Pervozvanny, Imperator Pavel I during annual maneuvers of the Russian Baltic fleet. Armored cruisers Bayan and Pallada are seen on the left. The Baltic Sea off Reval (Tallinn), Summer 1912.
renderTimingPixel.png

uglpv11qz4i71.jpg

USS Tennessee (BB-43) makes a port call at Vancouver after winning gunnery contest among the units of the US Pacific Fleet. RMS Empress of Australia (former German liner Tirpitz) is in the background. Fall 1922.
ln9e99ufxxh71.jpg

Back