Help needed thanks.

Airstream

Reaction score
HI Guys.
My front wheel bearing have failed it W.O.F. ( Warrant of fitness ) This is a check on the car we have to do every 6 months.
So the help I need is with ROCKAUTO web site. Is, What wheel bears inner and outer bearing and seals are the best to get for my 1978 Newport?
So i can put in a order for a few sets. AS there seem to be a few different makers.
I have try he but no luck.
Thank you for any help that will see me in the right path. And get the old gril on the road

This is an unusual problem for a newer "C" body. Did both sides go bad, or just one. Before you replace just the bearings check the spindles very carefully to make sure they are not bent, and make sure the new bearings can slide on easily and the inner race can rotate on the spindle.

If you are looking for brand names, Timken for wheel bearings and National for the seals are the names I usually look for.

As Trantech said, that is an unusual failure, so I wouldn't bother with spares, and I would check the spindles as he says. I would probably change the other side too.. But that's my OCD kicking in. The only time I've ever seen for front bearing failure is from bad installation so grease and adjust correctly and they will last forever.

HI.
Just 1 bear had fail.
What had happened about 3-4 years ago i went for a trip down around the south island (some you may remember the photos i had taken on the trip and post up on here.)
while down south my brake shoes wore out and f#$k the rotor on one side. as i had a parts car i put on the rotor from that car which was not in the greatest shape.
and i think this is what made the bearing fail. everything else looks in good shape still, as i only do 500-1000 miles a year on the car.
I have got new rotors for the car but they didn't come with bearings, I didn't know this at the time. So i wanting to replace with new bearings and seals for the new rotors.
And maybe a spare set as well. Thanks guys

yep. sure are.
I live in New Zealand that why i want to make sure I get good ones and not cheap crap.
Must chage my Location thingee on here.

Airstream, I am going to put forth the guess that your bearing was extremely loose when they failed it. Not a permanent solution, but if you repacked the bearings and readjusted them, you might get back into legal status for the short term.

Of course I would ask if you have an FSM to guide you, the maintenance section should cover wheel bearing adjustments. It is very important that they not be over tightened. If your inspector thinks he has a more modern sealed system, he may be calling a failure incorrectly.

As far as quality... it seems they all come from india or china now... just do your best and hope.

Hi cantflip. yep done the pack and adjusting of the bearings for the last 2 W.O.F. I have redone it each time as to keep an eye on the bearing as i know it was great to start off.
But this time it looks like it may be ready to fill apart the cage looks to loose. And so I'm on this side of the world. best to be safe than sorry.
P.S. if they any other web site that you guys may think will be better for what i am after let me know .
i only pick ROCKAUTOs as i had a good dealing for my rotor all well fast and smooth.

Hi cantflip. yep done the pack and adjusting of the bearings for the last 2 W.O.F. I have redone it each time as to keep an eye on the bearing as i know it was great to start off.
But this time it looks like it may be ready to fill apart the cage looks to loose. And so I'm on this side of the world. best to be safe than sorry.
P.S. if they any other web site that you guys may think will be better for what i am after let me know .
i only pick ROCKAUTOs as i had a good dealing for my rotor all well fast and smooth.
The last time I got wheel bearings from Rock Auto they were Timkens.

I'm not the one to ask about overseas customer service. I visited Toronto one weekend long, long ago which is my entire time outside the USA. If rockauto treats you right, I see no flaw in the plan. I know some of our European brothers have had good luck with them.

Back