HELP on 1966 383ci Replacing the fuel pump

rl000999

Reaction score
What is this tube just below the fuel pump ?????
I was reading to hold up the rod when installing the pump....I don't see any rod.......
I was feeling around in there & there is nothing to hold up
This is the pump I took off

PXL_20241017_204511628.jpg

PXL_20241017_210050433.jpg

Last edited:
That’s the pipe plug for the fuel pump pushrod, it gets installed through that plug.

If you can bolt the new pump in place, the fuel pump pushrod is in place and you’re good to go. I’ve had some where I can bolt it right up. And ohers where I have to hold it up with a finger and get the pump in quickly.

That’s the pipe plug for the fuel pump pushrod, it gets installed through that plug.

If you can bolt the new pump in place, the fuel pump pushrod is in place and you’re good to go. I’ve had some where I can bolt it right up. And ohers where I have to hold it up with a finger and get the pump in quickly.
So the pushrod is in that tube ??? How long is this pushrod??? Can the pushrod fall out ???

So the pushrod is in that tube ??? How long is this pushrod??? Can the pushrod fall out ???
That's not a tube, it's a plug with a hex for an Allen wrench. The pushrod can only come out if you remove that plug.

The pushrod is approx. 3 1/4" long.

Yes, its in the tube. it can and often does drop to the bottom of its bore. As stated above, you can sometimes hold it up with your finger until you get the lever from the pump under it. Sometimes you have to remove the plug, pull the shaft, coat it with wheel bearing grease and shove it the hole til it stops. It'll generally stay put until you install the pump. It's not that much of a pain.

Back