Hey all!!!

68Bigred

Reaction score
Just thought I'd say hello! Have 68 300 been doing tons of work on. Got it from my grandfather. She sat over 20 years due to spun bearing. Just finished rebuilding the entire drive line and today just finished 4 wheel disc brakes. Austin traffic drums just weren't cutting it! I know big wheels aren't everyone's thing but it drives so much better. She will actually be used in a movie shooting here in Austin in July. Just fun to have this boat alive again. Been in the family since I was born in 1975. Go easy on me I know still need a lot of love!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I went with 10.4 single piston in the rear and 11 up front 4 piston. All discs are slotted and drilled. Rears I bought from performance on line and fronts from ssbc. Both ssbc and pol are horrible companies with poor customer service. Maybe because it is a cbody they both told me can't do disc all around, well I did it and they are getting better as the wear in. Took my time and ran all new brake lines. Looks almost original for my first attempt and making lines. One thing for sure I learned need the 68 bendrix PB booster. The drum brake on booster I could only get 900psi front and 600 rear. Used a 73 dodge master and the 68 booster and getting 1300 front 1000 rear so brakes are good bit not as powerful as I'd hoped. At least no more pulling side to side with the drums. I bought the wheels from big wheels.net they were awesome. They are 20" riddlers with gy f1 supercar tires 245 45 20 clear perfectly. I didn't go bigger on the brakes so I can put stock wheels on if I want to go to a show.

While I was waiting on all the brakes to come in I put a 1 1/4 front sway bar from firmfeel. With a few parts these cbodies can really hug the curves. I am about to order a close ratio gear box and upgrade the front end. Believe it or not it is all original. Car only has 54k miles on it, grandpa kept her well greased, however little play in the Pittman arm.

I did do the full march serpentine kit and running a griffin radiator with dual electric fans. Run perfect even in Texas temps.

i kept getting a high rpm miss so I dumped my grandfathers electronic ignition and put msd 6al with rev limiter with no vacuum advance. She pulls real hard to 6200rmp with no miss.

if anyone has a 742 case and 3.55 posi they want to part with let me know. Think it has 2.9s now, great on the highway but I'd like it move bit better!

she has dual exhaust with flow master 40s. Little loud but it fun to pop her in neutral and hit it a bit around all the four banger Hondas so they can hear an American v8...nothing sounds like a healthy big block!

I did all the work myself except I had a local guy rebuild the motor and trans. Bored it out .030 and replaced everything except the crank. I went with a mild cam as I didn't want to run headers. She isn't a TNT car but I like the dual snorkel air cleaner. 18 cans of black spray paint under her made her look like new.

I painted the engine bay viper red which I will do the body in when time and money permits. The car is supposed to be white but my grandfather painted it red in the early 80s and the family know it as big red so I can't change it! My grandfather wanted to see it enjoyed and back on the road so I did it. He is 94 and that's all he talked about is how he loves to see big red running again. I have pictures of me strapped in the back seat as a baby.

Im glad to be on this board as nice to be around people that like these cars. Yes I have 3x into this car then it is worth but being a family car it is priceless to me. I have a long way to go yet but it is fun to have a car no one else has around me. People ask me why...like y'all on here why not!

Great job bringing the 300 back to life, and wonderful story about your grandfather. I'll bet he is very proud of you.:welcome:

Thanks!!! I had a 67 coronet I restored with my dad. I kept it for 15 years and while I was in the military I like an idiot sold it. I have been trying to find it for 10 years now to buy it back. The 300 was supposed to go to my dad but he has been batleing cancer and cannot do a restore (he has a rotisserie restored 63 Newport with a factory 3speed gearbox ). This car helps fill the loss I have of selling my 67. It's really important to do while I have them both still. After this movie shoot I promised it to my buddy that hauls boats is going to haul it back to ny so my dad and grandpa can have some fun with it. I am going to surprise them and just have it dropped off. Neither one can travel anymore so the car has to go to them. That's why such a rush to get her in shape and basically maxing out my credit card lol!!

Welcome! Great story. Hope you find the Coronet. Good to see some more C bodies here in Austin!

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Sweet car and great story behind it. I love your plan to surprise your dad and grandpa with it, see if you can arrange to have that captured in a video, you wouldn't regret that.

Very well thought out mods, they don't look out of place on your 'vert. Nice story about the car, too.
Any chance full view of the rear to better show off the dual exhaust? I'd like to see it as I'm planning on adding duals to my '67 300 at some point in the future.

Welcome!

I really hope you stick around. Great car and great story. Please take Matt's suggestion and get someone to video your father and grandfathers's reaction and hopefully of them driving or riding in the car.

Like Matt said you won't regret it

Now what's this about a movie? Details please and will it be wearing those wheels or original style wheels and rubber?

Back