Hey there, another new member!

Hi my friend, Wikipedia is not the United States Government.

Hi Gary,

I know but it delivers usually some serious information. I was wondering, too when it said there is no law which language has definetly to be used officially. Even though they use english in practice

Carsten

Hi Gary,

I know but it delivers usually some serious information. I was wondering, too when it said there is no law which language has definetly to be used officially. Even though they use english in practice

Carsten
As a friendly suggestion, I would hesitate to use Wikipedia as a source to obtain "official" information about facts concerning the United States (or any country for that matter). Wikipedia is a private organization, not a legit government portal. They provide a philanthropic product (it's free!) but you cannot trust it all the time. Unfortunately, this one of those times. It may be the people at Wikipedia might "wish" the official language in the USA were not English.
I can tell you, flat out....they would be wrong. They are leading you astray.

Hmmmmmmm. Looks like English.
auh06u.jpg

34ywio3.jpg

35ndnc2.jpg

qy73us.jpg

5xr5av.jpg

I just read the rest of the thread and came to the conclusion Carsten is wrong again. IN my travels, wherever I go, any American is offended when a foreigner uses a different language other than English, AND foreigners get a kick out of speaking another language because they know it annoys people.

Carsten, until you are born here please dont assume you know us.

Can't say this goes for Germany. In fact English speaking visitors in general don't have the least interest to talk in the language of the visiting country, it's rather taken for granted everyone understands them, which is not always so.
But never considered an issue over here. Personally I always found it important to know the official language if you were going more than skin deep in a foreign country*s culture.

Don't know how Bob saw this during German stationing, always interested if my observations comply with the other party as well.

Can't say this goes for Germany. In fact English speaking visitors in general don't have the least interest to talk in the language of the visiting country, it's rather taken for granted everyone understands them, which is not always so.
But never considered an issue over here. Personally I always found it important to know the official language if you were going more than skin deep in a foreign country*s culture.

Don't know how Bob saw this during German stationing, always interested if my observations comply with the other party as well.

Every US Soldier has to go to German language classes for 2 weeks when they get in country. That class teaches Soldiers enough to say hello, good day, good night, order food and a beer. It didn't tale long for Soldiers to figure out that the ladies really took interest if you tried to talk to them in German. A lot of my friends married German women. I always had a great time during the 3 tours and 15 years I was stationed there. I had a bunch of German friends that were Soldiers during WWII.

Hi Gary,

this is the official government site and it says there is no official language, too:

http://answers.usa.gov/system/selfs...YPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTRY=US&ARTICLE_ID=10629

USA.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal

Checked it out. Another interpretation on Wikipedia's part and the government website you found.

Here's the straight scoop, again.
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
The United States of America is a republic made up of fifty states (and a the federal district of Columbia or Washington D.C.). 50 states in the union constitute what is commonly refereed to as America. Wikipedia claims the language of America is not English, along with the government portal you came upon, but since America, unlike many other countries around the globe, is a federal republic made of many states, the following are "states" that openly declare English as the official language: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, S. Carolina, S. Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, & Wyoming.

The following are states where better than 85% of the known population speak English, but under a "degacto" premise (they have not yet passed official "bill" in state senate, however there are numerous bills currently working their way through): Washington, Nevada, Texas, New Mexico, Texas, Minnesota, Wisconsin Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York Connecticut, Massachusetts,& Maine. A very small minority. S[/FONT]tate by state, whether it be defacto or official (and you will note there are more official declarations of English than not) the language of the land is English. Wikipedia interprets and then assumes that English is not the language of the land because a few states have yet to passed "official" bills....much less states in number than that of those who have passed and made it law.

All these states make up The United States of America.

Sorry but Wikipedia is wrong, and they should endeavor to state details rather than make generalizations.

Every US Soldier has to go to German language classes for 2 weeks when they get in country. That class teaches Soldiers enough to say hello, good day, good night, order food and a beer. It didn't tale long for Soldiers to figure out that the ladies really took interest if you tried to talk to them in German. A lot of my friends married German women. I always had a great time during the 3 tours and 15 years I was stationed there. I had a bunch of German friends that were Soldiers during WWII.

You found out quickly how to steer the ladies to your stamp collection it seems.:laughing4:

I would also prefer not to see posts I can't read here and also not have to go through the trouble of trying to find some translator button on my iPad. This forum is for all of us and since all of us have mastered the English language at some level, why don't we just keep it in English.
Btw, nicely done Gary.

I believe everyone around the world understands our (the American people) general thoughts about speaking English in the U.S. When I was in Germany from 1977-1992 pretty much all Germans under 50 spoke some level of English. A lot of GI's tried to learn and speak German. Why not, we were guests in their country. Attempting to speak German always brought a smile to the German's faces and they would take their time and really make sure the translation was made to help each other out with the communication. I remember a lot of laughing and good times always!!!! Especially in the Gasthaus! Prost (cheers)!
:eek:ccasion14:

I like keeping a low profile, in fact I "lurk" a lot (surprise) and sometimes come out to make comments on this or that, just to see what's interesting to read. However, this topic has grated on me. I don't like being told by outsiders what the so called "facts" are about the country I was born and live in; a country that has given much opportunity, and in return, I unconditionally love. I cannot sit by quietly and say nothing about something that is wrong. I know that to some this may seem like much to do over nothing but I think it is important for us to believe, recognize and state with assurance that we (citizens of the United States) still speak in the same official tongue the original founding fathers spoke in, some 200 plus years ago...(albeit with more slang words, and less formality, but English nonetheless)...and that YES, it IS for all intents and purposes, official. Lastly, I want to specifically point out that I mean no disrespect and I have NO ill regard towards Carsten whatsoever. In fact my "irritation" is more aimed at the clowns at Wikipedia because they (purposely?) fail to provide the entire story.
Ok, I'm finished.

I like keeping a low profile, in fact I "lurk" a lot (surprise) and sometimes come out to make comments on this or that, just to see what's interesting to read. However, this topic has grated on me. I don't like being told by outsiders what the so called "facts" are about the country I was born and live in; a country that has given much opportunity, and in return, I unconditionally love. I cannot sit by quietly and say nothing about something that is wrong. I know that to some this may seem like much to do over nothing but I think it is important for us to believe, recognize and state with assurance that we (citizens of the United States) still speak in the same official tongue the original founding fathers spoke in, some 200 plus years ago...(albeit with more slang words, and less formality, but English nonetheless)...and that YES, it IS for all intents and purposes, official. Lastly, I want to specifically point out that I mean no disrespect and I have NO ill regard towards Carsten whatsoever. In fact my "irritation" is more aimed at the clowns at Wikipedia because they (purposely?) fail to provide the entire story.
Ok, I'm finished.
WOW!
You finally came out of your shell. Well done, Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back