Hi all check out what i bought.

So, if I pull a 318/360 out of a '73 and earlier C-body, a big block with its stock BB motor mounts drop right onto the subframe (that previously held a small block) and bolt right in. No torching, no welding. Mounts only. And stock mounts at that. No "adapter" mounts.
Have I got that right?

Absatively.... :yes:

Yep.........
I dare you to commit to that statement.

Sounds a bit like a wager... ??? :hungry:

OK. A BB drops right into where a SB used to be in a Fusie. Easy as pie. No mods.
OK????

....:yes: Same subframe for bigblock and smallblock with the same perches from '66 -'73 ....:yes:

If you find a '67-'68 Fury or Polara that you really like and it has a smallblock, all you need are the B/RB motor mount brackets for a '66-'73 and you can put your 440 in with no issues. If you have column shift you will need the shorter Z-bar link for a 727 vs the longer 904 piece... And of course you will need the shorter driveshaft....

I think the switch to the 904 with the smallblock started in '68....? :thinker:

Last edited:
Love the Newport. Looks like mine. new tires on my Newport.jpg

new tires on my Newport.jpg

Back to the original poster.....Very cool car you got from your Aunt. Did she buy it new? Or how long did she own it?

I would leave the 360 in there for the time being. you could always toss in a RV style cam and lifters, and a new intake and carb. Make sure you have a set of 3.23 rear gears to help that small block get you going. I had a 70 sport fury with a 318/904...eventually swapped to a 360/727 combo with 3.23's. I really enjoyed it in that combo.

Your speedo is probably out due to the motor and tranny swap. They probably didn't swap the speedo gear from the old tranny. So you need to find out what your gear ratio is in your differential, and then what size tires you have. Then you can figure out what tooth count gear you need to correct your speedo...or at least get it close.

WOW i missed a lot while i was away... I have no idea what gears i have in the Diff and short of pulling the diff or doing the lift and spin method im sure i wont find out any other way. what are the common ones anyway? there can only be so many for this car and i think the rear axle assy is original. (sure looks it) along with the speedo being off i figured out that i am missing a bunch of stuff off of the 2200 series holley two barrel that it has on it. no cold idle cam, manual choke conversion. fun stuff and to add it all up the speedo gear will be an immediate focus as it is leaking atf from the o ring in that area. from what ive read its a straightforward affair to r&r maybe i will put it up on stands and take a look just to see what gear is in it. tire size is 235 75r15 and if its a 3.23 i would need a 29 tooth gear like this one http://www.tciauto.com/tc/chrysler-driven-speedometer-gear-29-tooth-black.html or there is a swap meet tmw in the area. i could try there.

Also feel free to bicker about what fits. my guess is my grandpa who did the swap knows the answer but he is no longer with us. to answer your question thrashingcows, she got it when she was 16 years old. it was used and when it was bought the 383 that was in it had some sort of problem that my grandpa solved by replacing it with something else he found lying around (360 2 barrel) it was the only survivor of my mom/3 aunts 16th birthday gifts which included a 69 ford xl vert, 66 continental, and 65-68 era mercury monterey vert. somewhere in there also was a substitute car for when the monterey was ran into something I dont recall that car well other than it was a GM looking 4 door convertible (im Probably wrong)

The lift and spin method only takes a couple minutes. car in neutral, jack up pass. side...power wheel. Then mark drive shaft, and tire. Spin tire one revolution and count driveshaft rotation.

Very cool you have a car with family history...I envy those who do. Wish I had a family heir loom like that.

It needs a bit of attention, but still no balls. You and I had this discussion before, my 71 150,000 mile 360 would run through this 383, and the 383 had a 3:23 to help it along

I will show you a 383 it won't run through....:poke:

Back