Hi guys, formally from Aus now living in the states

Wollfen

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here i have been playing with C-bodies for over 25 years and still love em, in particular the 1970 Plymouth Fury family. i have had a bunch of these in Australia and now that i have moved to the United States am looking forward to picking up a 1970 Plymouth Fury coupe sometime. Right now i own three 1968 chargers and a 1970 Dodge Challenger and a 1968 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe. The picture of the red Plymouth Fury was the last one i owned before moving here. If ya wanna know more about any of em let me know cheers.

xdfile 011.jpg

68 chrysler.jpg

DSCF0402.jpg

RT challenger-1.jpg

Welcome to the site from theMotor City! Where do you call home now? Nice collection you have, did you bring them to the U.S. with you or get them since you've been here? We have a similar collection, I have two '68 b-bodies, a '70 E and my driver '67 Imperial Crown Coupe.

hey Detmatt, yeah i bought the cars here in the states. I call North Carolina home now and i have a 2800 sq foot workshop with a paint booth so I have plenty of room to get stuck into my vehicles, the green 68 charger is a one owner RT that had been parked for 35 years with the other two chargers being standard models. As for the Challenger she is an RT as well. The 68 new yorker i got from the local salvage yard and had plans for it but now with four other cars im thinking ill sell it again or part it. I am sure i will eventually find a Fury coupe in the future which is really what I want anyway. My driver is a nice original 89 Dodge Ram D150.

What brought you to the states and how long to establish that collection?
Did you buy the shop where you're at or are you renting?
I've got my `68 Road Runner getting close to being ready for paint and will hopefully be reassembling this fall and winter. This one will have a 383 with a six barrel set up and a `69 Air Grabber hood and a 4 spd. The `68 Coronet R/T is a project but most of the major work has been done and is a #s matching 440 4 spd Dana car that was originally Black with white tail stripe and a white over black interior. The `70 Challenger is a #'s matching 340 auto car in burnt orange over burnt orange with black top and rump stripe. The 440 from the Coronet is freshly rebuilt and both the 383 and the 340 are both at the machine shop. And the Imperial, well it just speaks for itself!LOL!!

IMG_8244.jpg

Now thats a car you never have to worry about the safety of your kids in huh? Even collisions with small countries will do you right ;) The roadrunner sounds cool with the 6pac and air grabber, i wouldnt mind one day finding a 69 coronet and having that setup like the factory. The A66 sounds sweet :) With my cars the RT Charger is obviously numbers matching but has a warranty block in it. But the Challenger was a shell when i got it about two years ago. The 383 charger i havent checked the numbers on so Im not sure as yet, the three chargers i bought just over a month ago in Kinston, i saw the advert in CL and also noticed it was commented on in the for sale section here too. As for the workshop, its all mine came with the house my wife and i bought.

That's great! I'll look forward to more pics.

Wouldn't that 70 Fury you had in Australia, really be badged as a Dodge Phoenix?
Welcome aboard.

By the way, as you search for the 70 Fury 2 door of your dreams, keep in mind the 2 door 70 Plymouth hardtops came with two completely different roof lines. You probably already know that, but whether you decide on a Sport Fury, Fury III, there was the 2 door hardtop and then there was a more formal two door hardtop. The formal hardtop roofline was shared with the Fury I & II 2 door post sedan.

Last edited:
Hey Jim yup you are right, in Australia Chrysler badged the plymouth C-bodies as Dodge phoenixes after 1965 but i figured with all the Yank readers on here they would get mightily confused ;) As for the two different coupe styles yup well aware of em and I am not interested in the formal hardtop with the concave rear window. So its sport fury type all the way, so even an S23 would interest me.

Hard to believe they sold any with this rear window, I have never heard of anyone that prefers them over the other.

Keep in mind that in 68-70 Ford Galaxies and Chevy Impalas also had choices of two different roof lines on the two door hardtops. Plymouth's formal roofline with the concave rear window was better looking but extremely similar to the formal Impala Sport Coupe roofline in 69-70. The Impala Sport Coupe also had the concave rear window. Plymouth needed both choices if they wanted to compete model for model with Ford and Chevy.

Better looking is a matter of opinion and in my internet and car show travels you are the first that I have seen to state the "formal" roof line looks better than the "convex" rear window.

Better looking is a matter of opinion and in my internet and car show travels you are the first that I have seen to state the "formal" roof line looks better than the "convex" rear window.

Actually, as a matter of personal preference, I like the convex rear window style roofline better on the Fury (though that black Fury with the formal roof does look good). What I was trying to say was that the 70 Fury's formal roof line with the concave rear window, looks better than the 70 Impala Sport Coupe's formal roof line with the concave rear window.

Back