Hidden headlight motor rebuild 1970

MONC440

Reaction score
My headlight motor on my 70 would barely turn so I figured I would take it apart and see if I can get the bushings freed up. It is a pretty simple design but one thing I’m struggling with is how to get the manual knob off, see picture below. Anyone know how to remove that thing?

Thanks

IMG_0821.jpeg

Pulls off. It's on a spline.
Have you just pulled them off? I pulled on it till I thought I was going to damage it and it didn't come off. If you are sure I will give it some more pressure.

One more thing, are these systems supposed to have the coil assist springs on the ends? I know I can just look it up in the parts book but if you guys know off hand that would be great.
Update: I just looked in the parts book and yes it is supposed to have springs, mine are missing, anyone know who has them? Also I assume the spring is to assist during opening? Thanks

1719416120048.png

Last edited:
I found a pair of springs listed on feebay for 71 72 73 74 Charger Polara Fury Imperial for $80. Anyone know if they are the same for 70? The parts book picture shows a 1970 image and it says 70-71 so I think they should be the same?

Have you just pulled them off? I pulled on it till I thought I was going to damage it and it didn't come off. If you are sure I will give it some more pressure.

One more thing, are these systems supposed to have the coil assist springs on the ends? I know I can just look it up in the parts book but if you guys know off hand that would be great.
Update: I just looked in the parts book and yes it is supposed to have springs, mine are missing, anyone know who has them? Also I assume the spring is to assist during opening? Thanks

View attachment 668209
I'll take a pic of my '70 300 when I wander back out the shop after lunch.

The spring doesn't assist, its there as a safety so the doors aren't solidly connected to the bar. Let's say you have a build up of ice around the headlights and the doors won't close all the way. The springs let the doors not close all the way. (BTW, this happened to us with my Dad's '68 300 after driving in an ice storm).

Sorry for the delay.

I was incorrect about what the function of the spring is. It does help the doors stay closed. The spring action I mentioned in my above post is done in the square drive rod.

1fmsvxR.jpg

T07FF3s.jpg

Back