How crispy do you like it?

Missourati

Reaction score
Good ol ammeter. I think Ralph Nader missed one with this terrific design. Thank god the dash was apart and I saw it smoking otherwise I would have had a surprise barbecue. I want to bypass it entirely but need to know the safest way so this doesn't pop up again. I saw a lot of people using fusible links but I'm curious if a fuse would also work just for ease of repair. I was thinking of just soldering the two non burned ends together because I don't really want a voltmeter jutting out of the dashboard like a boil, but I'm open to suggestions. The simpler the better. Thanks!

'61 Dart Seneca 225ci

IMG_9350.jpeg

That's a lot of corrosion. If you still have the ring terminal in each wire you can just use a small bolt to put them together. Tape it up good.

I would still do the under hood bypass because it lightens the load going through the firewall and into the interior of the car. When I made the fusible link for the bypass I made an extra an put it in my glove box.

Last edited:
Good ol ammeter. I think Ralph Nader missed one with this terrific design. Thank god the dash was apart and I saw it smoking otherwise I would have had a surprise barbecue. I want to bypass it entirely but need to know the safest way so this doesn't pop up again. I saw a lot of people using fusible links but I'm curious if a fuse would also work just for ease of repair. I was thinking of just soldering the two non burned ends together because I don't really want a voltmeter jutting out of the dashboard like a boil, but I'm open to suggestions. The simpler the better. Thanks!

'61 Dart Seneca 225ci

View attachment 667501
I think soldering the charge wires together is a viable solution.
Others run a second output wire off the alternator to the starter relay.

Could I also insert a single fuse block, and if so what amperage?
Too much volts/amps for a fuse. Maybe a circuit breaker but why? Solder the two wires together, run the bypass to the starter relay, and forget the ammeter.

That said, I didn't use a fusible link, but you can run a fusible link in the charge wire. Usually a fusible link is 4 gauge sizes smaller than the wire gauge, example an 8 gauge wire might have a #12 fusible link.

I cut out the ammeter wires and made a little connector wire with alligator clips to check the amps and turned it over when it started slightly smoking again. The wires get nuclear almost immediately so I'm going to go with the engine bay bypass solution. What is the step by step so I don't lose my headlights and gauges at the worst possible time, which is any time.

For this, you just need to connect the wires together that went through the ammeter. When you do the underhood bypass, you want to use a fusible link. The fusible link takes surges in current better than a fuse will. To get a fuse that won't blow during a surge, it has to be higher amperage and then you lose protection.

I cut out the ammeter wires and made a little connector wire with alligator clips to check the amps and turned it over when it started slightly smoking again. The wires get nuclear almost immediately so I'm going to go with the engine bay bypass solution. What is the step by step so I don't lose my headlights and gauges at the worst possible time, which is any time.
As I kind of figured from looking at the picture, the ammeter has been blamed for some other short in the wiring. You want to find that before you do anything else.

Does this car still have a generator? Any major changes to the electrical system? The underhood bypass procedures you see are aimed at newer cars with alternators, so a car with a generator will be different.

Quite frankly, if it were me, I'd look at fixing what's there and find another ammeter. You have a combination of low charging current (generator) and a fairly robust stock ammeter (don't listen to the naysayers that aren't familiar with your older car).

For this, you just need to connect the wires together that went through the ammeter. When you do the underhood bypass, you want to use a fusible link. The fusible link takes surges in current better than a fuse will. To get a fuse that won't blow during a surge, it has to be higher amperage and then you lose protection.

As I kind of figured from looking at the picture, the ammeter has been blamed for some other short in the wiring. You want to find that before you do anything else.

Does this car still have a generator? Any major changes to the electrical system? The underhood bypass procedures you see are aimed at newer cars with alternators, so a car with a generator will be different.

Quite frankly, if it were me, I'd look at fixing what's there and find another ammeter. You have a combination of low charging current (generator) and a fairly robust stock ammeter (don't listen to the naysayers that aren't familiar with your older car).
It has an alternator. The only thing I can think of is I'm 99% sure it's got a new(er) alternator that puts out 60 amps and as per my service manual, the original was for 35-40 amps. The weird thing is I used to drive it all the time and it would smoke from time to time but never like this, maybe the corrosion over the years made it worse. I took off the alternator yesterday to see how many amps it put out but parts store said they couldn't test it if it's externally regulated. So I'll try to use a multimeter to find out. Barring anything else I guess I'd want to try the trick of using a thick wire from the alternator to the battery(?) to take the burden off the thinner wires but am unfamiliar.

The weird thing is I used to drive it all the time and it would smoke from time to time but never like this, maybe the corrosion over the years made it worse.
Wow... And you just figured that was OK?

Yes, corrosion makes it worse... It adds resistance and resistance causes heat.

Before you do anything else, fix whatever is shorting. It wasn't the ammeter.

It has an alternator. The only thing I can think of is I'm 99% sure it's got a new(er) alternator that puts out 60 amps and as per my service manual, the original was for 35-40 amps. The weird thing is I used to drive it all the time and it would smoke from time to time but never like this, maybe the corrosion over the years made it worse. I took off the alternator yesterday to see how many amps it put out but parts store said they couldn't test it if it's externally regulated. So I'll try to use a multimeter to find out. Barring anything else I guess I'd want to try the trick of using a thick wire from the alternator to the battery(?) to take the burden off the thinner wires but am unfamiliar.
• After Main shunt at ammeter broke on my 1970 Fury
• Bypass: 10 gauge black wire from alternator output post to starter relay battery post. (approx. 60 inches)
• .25” ring terminal at alternator
• 5/16” ring terminal at starter relay
• Idle Began 15V @ alt, 14.5V at battery. 2000 rpm: 14.95 V max. Voltage regulator was working.
• After charging a few minutes: 14.5V at alt, 14.0V at battery. 13.56V at battery with HL on. No more overcharging.
Comments
*I think your original idea of bypassing the ammeter by soldering the 2 wires together is valid.
*After you set up the bypass, you need to look to see if you have have an overcharging from the 60 amp alternator causing the smoking. If so, recommend replace voltage regulator.
*I recommend an ignition-on voltmeter under the dash to monitor charge

Back