How to clean a gas tank

try soaking in white vinegar. I'd say fill it half way then after a few days to a week, flip it over. You'd be surprised how good it cleans

May give that a whirl to. Hate to keep spending $ when its not even running yet!
IMG_3161.JPGIMG_3162.JPGIMG_3175.JPGIMG_3209_1.JPG

Because a lot of these "collector" cars sit around for long periods, a lot of condensation tends to form in nearly-empty tanks and this condensation causes the exposed area of the tank to rust. There are a couple of ways to minimize this problem. One is to fill the tank before storing the vehicle for the winter and the other is to etch the inside and slosh the tank with an ethanol-resistant sloshing compound.

Before the advent of ethanol-diluted fuels I used to go to the local airport and pick up a can of gas tank sloshing compound and, after using a mild acid made for the purpose of cleaning gas tanks, I'd slosh any tank I put into a car that I knew wouldn't be used every day.

I sloshed the 53 gallon tank I built for my hemi powered hot rod back in '74 when I built the tank and I've never had any issues with it. I also use Lucas ethanol treatment to help minimize the destructive qualities of ethanol-diluted fuels.

1728150504349.jpeg

Hirsch Gas Tank Sealer​

$37.95 quart

Details

Alcohol resistant gas tank sloshing compound. Impervious to all fuel types. This will help you restore and repair your tank. It will seal pinhole leaks and prevent rusting. Sold per quart

Screenshot 2024-10-05 135515.jpg

Speedway Motors
|

Gas Tank Etch​

2 Reviews
|
3 Questions

$15.99
each

Anyone make replacement tanks for the Formal-era wagons? I haven’t looked around much (not an urgent project but eventually will want a new one). Rock Auto has them for sedans/hardtops only.
I have not yet seen anyone making a tank for a Mopar wagon - the market is small.
But shop around, of course, don't take my word for it.

Back