How to get horn ring to sound all the way around

Swanky

Reaction score
'66 300: I got the shop manual and was starting to try to figure out the issue with my new car's horn not working (had it a couple of weeks). It turned out the horn does work, but only when I press the far left tip of the horn ring.

A) How can I get it to sound when I push the horn ring anywhere?

B) How do I get the horn ring off? I can't find anything about it in the shop manual. Other old cars I just pressed it in and turned it counter-clockwise. I tried that and just got the center button off. Maybe I needed to turn the ring more than the center button?

Good Afternoon
The horn ring is bolted on (three screws). Those screws also bolt the horn switch to the wheel. Make sure that you don't lose the plastic insulator (spacers).
To remove, disconnect the battery, turn the center cap counter-clockwise (no need to depress). Once removed the screws are easily accessible. Make sure there is no corrosion between the metal part of the switch and the wheel. The switch is internally spring loaded so insure that the switch itself is good. These switches have a small tang that fits into a hole in the wheel. When re-assembling, make sure the switch is oriented correctly. Make sure the grounding wire (I believe that it is a black wire) is in good shape all the way through to the horn relay (under the hood). A continuity meter is a friend.
If possible post some pics.
Omni

To get your horn to work all the way around, you might need to take off the horn ring and see if any connections are loose or corroded. On your '66 300, the horn ring is usually held by three screws.

To get your horn to work all the way around, you might need to take off the horn ring and see if any connections are loose or corroded. On your '66 300, the horn ring is usually held by three screws.
First, disconnect the battery, then turn the center cap counter-clockwise to get to the screws. Clean everything up and make sure there’s no corrosion where the horn switch meets the steering wheel. Also, check that the grounding wire is in good shape and properly connected to the horn relay.
If you’re thinking about switching things up, I recently found some remote-controlled air horns at https://bosshorn.com/. They’re loud and could be a fun addition if you want to try something new with your setup.

Back