How to lock engine to tighten crankshaft bolt to 135 pounds

I don't torque mine. Just hit the nut with an air wrench. If you want to torque it, you could drop the inspection cover and hold the converter or flywheel with a large screw driver.

A 1957 doesn’t have a flexplate on the converter to hold it.

you can fashion some sort of metal plate to put into the ring gear and can go against the bottom of the block to stop rotation.

I remember using the screw driver in the ring gear method, but I was afraid of breaking a tooth off? I did use an electric impact and was careful not to go too far, maybe that will do? Wonder why they want that so blasted tight?

Thats what I used on my 440 couple weeks ago, electric impact. 1/2" drive, let hammer about 5 times, same as it took to break it loose.

I've never used a torque wrench on that bolt either. A few hammers with the impact and it's done. Never had one loosen.

Same here. Whatever the impact wrench drove it home at was fine.
If I had to lock the engine, I jammed a HF screwdriver into the flywheel ring gear.

Pull a spark plug and fill the cylinder with rope. Get it at half travel to reduce wristpin load.
On the compression stroke.

Last edited:
I made a tool that attaches to the damper with the pully screws. It's a lever about a foot long.i hadn't air tools at the time.
135 pound feet isn't that much really and a few wacks with a gun will likely torque it to a higher value anyways.
If concerned use some loctite

I made a tool that attaches to the damper with the pully screws. It's a lever about a foot long.i hadn't air tools at the time.
135 pound feet isn't that much really and a few wacks with a gun will likely torque it to a higher value anyways.
If concerned use some loctite
Great idea, I have one of those for holding my Toyota Tundras, but the Plymouth has no bolt holes in it except for the center one.

Back