How to remove Zeibart.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My car was dipped into a Zeibart tank which is a two edge sword.
It's a totally rust free car but every square inch is covered by it and it looks like crap. Especially the engine compartment.
Since I had the heads off, I was cleaning up the block and I discovered that blasting the firewall with a can of brake cleaner while also blasting it with compressed air washes the stuff right off. No damage to the paint.
Here's a very small section of the firewall and you can see the difference.

68esex.jpg

Was the Zeibart added before you bought the car? When you say 'blasting' are you using a pressure washer of some kind? Just trying to understand.

Glenn

It was given the Zeibart Rustproofing Treatment by the dealer before it was delivered to the original buyer in '75.
Pointing the tube on the nozzle of the brake cleaner, I sprayed it up close while in the other hand was blasting that same area with the blowgun from my compressed air supply.
It literally vaporized the Zeibart while producing a little residue that the compressed air peeled away at it.
What you are seeing is a small section, as is, no other cleaning.

It was given the Zeibart Rustproofing Treatment by the dealer before it was delivered to the original buyer in '75.
Pointing the tube on the nozzle of the brake cleaner, I sprayed it up close while in the other hand was blasting that same area with the blowgun from my compressed air supply.
It literally vaporized the Zeibart while producing a little residue that the compressed air peeled away at it.
What you are seeing is a small section, as is, no other cleaning.

As per the bulletin from the North Korean Lean Burn Technology Test Team. :poke:

Got a couple of cars over the years with similar applications in the engine compartment, always had to remove it after I while as I just couldn't stand the look. Will this method a try next time if I ever get another one, used to rub the stuff off with brake cleaner and a cloth before.

Thanks for the idea! I am gonna try that tonight on my 69 Fury, the guy I bought it from coated the whole engine bay, underside of the car as well as the trunk floor with some sort of rustproofing stuff.

Yes commando1, it is some kind of nasty crap, almost for lack of better description like roofing tar! driveway sealer is close too! He put it all across the cowl and the firewall, then painted it the same color pale yellow as the car, would'nt be sooo bad but it is all droopy and runs all over the place. Uh some people idea of bodywork! Oh well the rest of the car is coming along great and will be ready for paint soon!

I had great success using a brand of engine cleaner by the brand name of "Steam Engine Cleaner" followed by pressure washing at the local car wash self service bay. Did this on m 79 Volare Road Runner that I bought new, and after 25 years decided Ii wanted to get the crap out of the engine compartment. Did a real nice job. If you are stripping this kind of crap out of an engine compartment (or any other area) and intend to repaint it, I used Easy Off oven cleaner, followed by a high pressure washer. It takes off the rustproofing, oil, grease, and factory paint and primer, leaving the bare steel ready for you to scuff and prime, after the surface has dried. ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES !!!!!!!! YOU ONLY GET ONE PAIR OF EYES, IF THIS STUFF TAKES OFF PAINT, IMAGINE WHAT IT WOULD DO TO YOUR BABY BLUES (or browns, greens, hazels, you get the picture).

Cautiously Yours,

Love Shack

Back