Howdy from NorCal- ‘61 Newport

Nellie Newport

Reaction score
My wife recently adopted a ‘61 Newport that has a moderate list of deferred maintenance items…. So I’ll be taking the lead on getting her roadworthy. Nice to see there is a community around these beautiful cars.

“Nellie” is a 2-door hardtop equipped with a 261 2bl and Torqueflite trans. No other options. Rearend with tapered axles was swapped out for one with flange axles- not sure wheat yr/model the axle came from, although it looks like it has salvage yard markings indicating it was a 1998 something Chrysler.

Someone also did a front disc brake conversion. Right now we’re stuck with the 17&18 inch mag wheels, but we will eventually replace with 15” steel & hubcaps when it’s time for new tires.

I’ve got the factory manual + ‘61 supplement. I was delighted to see that the factory manual is well written, compared to some other vintage cars I have worked on.

Most immediate items:

1. Brakes are soft, but most of the brake components are fairly new, so generic dual master is coming off for bench bleeding and will install an RPV in the rear drum circuit.

2. Parking brake needs work, so new shoes going in and will need to fabricate an adjuster window cover to keep the oil drips from the engine and trans from contaminating the shoes again. Cable will also get replaced.

Anyhow, glad to be here everyone, and hoping that Nellie responds well to some love.

Dave

A5EFD800-1E8E-4F37-AD9C-6B76B8D31CA7.jpeg

Welcome from NYC. You’re in the perfect place to get whatever help or info you need for your new toy. By the way, we are a picture Happy bunch. So Post post post.

Back