Hp exhaust manifolds fit formals?

fury1

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm just curious if some of the earlier hp manifolds for c bodies will fit formals Chrysler's. I've got a 440 I'm going to swap into my 75 Newport and wanted to spice it up a little bit. Either with headers or hp manifolds if they will fit. This question has probably been asked. I couldn't pull up a thread with any specs.

Another question as well. I picked up a pretty rusty 73 newyorker a few weeks ago. That's where the 440 is coming from. It has the front disc brakes which I'm going to swap into my 66 Chrysler. I was curious if the floor pans are similar or interchangable with earlier slab side cars. Because amazingly enough the floor pans on this car a very solid!
IMG_20170523_190319489.jpg
IMG_20170518_155544379.jpg
IMG_20161023_180744355.jpg
Thank you!

Great score on the 73 disc brake setup. Floor pans are very similar.

Booster may have firment issues - best to score the correct 65-68 booster.

The passenger side will fit no problems. The driver side needs a little work for clearance.

Most Formals from 75 on came with the late version high flow manifold (You can tell by the high swoop from the front exhaust ports) as standard on the drivers side in order to clear the steering box. So you may only need the passenger side anyway. They are not as swoopy as the earlier versions, but they flow well and are way better than logs.

s-l300.jpg

There's a 400 in my 75 now. I wanna get it built to a 470 and drop it back in next year. Just want this 440 so I can keep driving it for now. Thanks for the replies guys! What exactly needs clearancing on the drivers manifold?

I'm gonna be at the mopars in the park in Farmington mn next weekend. I was gonna look for manifolds there. Does anyone have the numbers off the manifolds that I should be looking for?

How high are you going to turn the engine.
5-5500 rpm I would just use the manifolds you have, the later exhaust manifolds have a lot of volume.
6000 rpm and up you should definitely be looking at headers.
I would not look for a set of hp manifolds unless they fell in your lap for free.

No one makes headers for a Formal. You could probably hack up a B-body set and McGuyver them to fit.

I've said this 1,655,482 times before. Headers are a downgrade on a Formal.
Hemi-Dart? Yah. Formals? Pfffftttt....

I've said this 1,655,482 times before. Headers are a downgrade on a Formal.
Hemi-Dart? Yah. Formals? Pfffftttt....
Depends on what you are looking to do with said formal. Downgrade, I can't follow that. Impractical for what I would do and use a formal for yes. I can't poo-poo headers just because, if your moving a lot of air through the engine they help that best.

I concur with the interior volume increases on the formal cars' B/RB exhaust manifolds. Chrysler had been seeking to make their engines "better air pumps" for several years, so these larger cross-section exhaust manifolds were one part of that.

It's possible, as on the earlier HP manifolds, that differences CAN exist in the clocking and angle of the exhaust flange, from model year to model year, much less if they came from a B-body or C-body.

Seems like the rest of the under-car exhaust system was pretty generously-sized? 2.5" pipes to the rear of the muffler? Plus plenty of room for a good set of dual exhausts, as I recall. Using some of the "Imperial-spec" mufflers (1972 or so, with the 2.5" in and out pipes) with the same restriction (or lack thereof) as the famed Street Hemi muffler would probably work (same physical size as the normal C-body mufflers from about '65-'73 (I used the Imperial muffler and related pipes to make a "sewer pipe single" exhaust system on my '67 Newport.

As for the rh exhaust manifolds with "the pipe", there was a factory block-off plate for that, when they didn't need that additional emissions control mechanism. PLUS a related gasket for that plate!

CBODY67

I concur with the interior volume increases on the formal cars' B/RB exhaust manifolds. Chrysler had been seeking to make their engines "better air pumps" for several years, so these larger cross-section exhaust manifolds were one part of that.

It's possible, as on the earlier HP manifolds, that differences CAN exist in the clocking and angle of the exhaust flange, from model year to model year, much less if they came from a B-body or C-body.

Seems like the rest of the under-car exhaust system was pretty generously-sized? 2.5" pipes to the rear of the muffler? Plus plenty of room for a good set of dual exhausts, as I recall. Using some of the "Imperial-spec" mufflers (1972 or so, with the 2.5" in and out pipes) with the same restriction (or lack thereof) as the famed Street Hemi muffler would probably work (same physical size as the normal C-body mufflers from about '65-'73 (I used the Imperial muffler and related pipes to make a "sewer pipe single" exhaust system on my '67 Newport.

As for the rh exhaust manifolds with "the pipe", there was a factory block-off plate for that, when they didn't need that additional emissions control mechanism. PLUS a related gasket for that plate!

CBODY67

That right manifold pipe to the air cleaner was on the 1978's only I believe.

CBODY67

I believe the pipes on Formal's are 2.25". You can get 2.50" hand bent pipes to work but it is real tight. I'm also saying this running true duals from the manifolds back.

On my '67 Newport 383 4bbl, I researched the Walker Exhaust catalog and discovered that on the same wheelbase (124") cars, the pipes from the y-pipe back had great similarities and lengths. I think the "Imperial" muffler was from a '72 model year, but don't recall right now. This particular muffler was mentioned somewhere in a Mopar Perf race manual, I believe, or I noticed it in the Walker Catalog. Don't remember, but do remember the internal restriction being equal to the Street Hemi muffler.

I got the Walker items from the y-pipe back, but not the rear resonator, opting for the normal rear pipe. There was a slight mis-match with the y-pipe and imperial pipe ball joint connector. It should have worked fine, but there was some pitting of the y-pipe's contact area. I got past that easily by inserting a 1/2 doughnut from a later 1980s Chevy pickup application. A "wire mesh" 1/2 doughnut with a metal sleeve that popped into the connecting pipe. It sealed (better than the "muffler gasket material" and is still in there.

After I got the pipes and muffler installed, I went to a muffler shop to get the rear pipe bent upward so the exit would be in the correct place. The particular application has more lower quarter panel coverage than was offered by the '67 body, so it was necessary to get it bent upward. Just have it exit a few inches higher, near the factory pipe's exit location. Otherwise, everything worked great. Don't know that it's a real substitute for duals, but I know it has to work better than the stock items and is as quiet as they were.

CBODY67

I believe the pipes on Formal's are 2.25". You can get 2.50" hand bent pipes to work but it is real tight. I'm also saying this running true duals from the manifolds back.
Agreed, on a Formal the largest pipe that clears the Torsion bars is 2.5 inch. But super tight and will probably hit something under load and rattle.

Back