Ignition switch bad?

timthomas

Reaction score
I am having an issue with the ignition switch key. Turning to start the starter does not engage. So I installed a button start. Everything has been good I turn the key to start the car some times it starts most times I leave the key run position and hit the start but. Car fires right up

Yesterday I put the key in the run position pushed the start button and tge starter just cranked would not start. I turned the key to the starter position and hit the start button and the car fired right up. Let the key go back to run and the car died. Only way car stays running is if I hold the key in the start position

The starter is not engaged. Starter only turns over when button is pushed

The button is connected to the starter relay on the firewall

It’s a 1969 Newport convertible.

I think the starter ignition key has failed. And I plan on replacing this. As for the relay that was replaced 6 months ago the starter is also new and the battery is 12 months old

Really think it’s the key switch

Anyone else ever have an issue like this?

I am having an issue with the ignition switch key. Turning to start the starter does not engage. So I installed a button start. Everything has been good I turn the key to start the car some times it starts most times I leave the key run position and hit the start but. Car fires right up

Yesterday I put the key in the run position pushed the start button and tge starter just cranked would not start. I turned the key to the starter position and hit the start button and the car fired right up. Let the key go back to run and the car died. Only way car stays running is if I hold the key in the start position

The starter is not engaged. Starter only turns over when button is pushed

The button is connected to the starter relay on the firewall

It’s a 1969 Newport convertible.

I think the starter ignition key has failed. And I plan on replacing this. As for the relay that was replaced 6 months ago the starter is also new and the battery is 12 months old

Really think it’s the key switch

Anyone else ever have an issue like this?

When I thought my ignition switch went bad I was advised to change the ballast resistor.
He was right.

Get rid of the push button, put it back the way it is supposed to be and diagnose from there.

Ok I see how to check for this at the coil. Will do in the am

Classic ballast resistor problem. They switch is likely just fine.

69 has a single ballast if it is running it is good. Try to troubleshoot the wiring into and out of the switch before changing it 69 is a one year only $$$ switch

That is a classic bad ballast resistor symptom. Since they are a fairly inexpensive part, and having a spare to carry is not a bad idea, swap it out and try it.

That said, the ignition switch is definitely messed up if you've had to add a start button, so it could be that, but there's a lot of other possibilities too. As said, I would also recommend correcting that problem before too much else is done.

You haven't mentioned what type of ignition you have. That might be important if you can't figure it out.

69 has a single ballast if it is running it is good.
That's right, but he says it only runs when you hold the key into start position. That would point to a problem in the "run" circuit, so it could be the ballast resistor.

Doubt it it runs if it was blown out no start. Easy check should be .5-.6ohms across it. if it is the right one. Bad switch can send the vdc to the ballast in start and the circuit is good. Yes dual ballast can do that one side gone. Just FYI

Trying to locate where the ballast resistor is. I’m agreeing this is likely the problem or at least an issue

IMG_9027.jpeg

I dropped the ignition switch out of the dash. Put the key on turned to start. Car started right away (engine is awesome) but as soon as I let go of the key the car stopped

This is old school points not electronic

I ordered a new balast resistor and a new coil condenser.

That's right, but he says it only runs when you hold the key into start position. That would point to a problem in the "run" circuit, so it could be the ballast resistor.
Single ballast has the run and start wires on one side for points. Electronic has the dual ballast one wire on each side. Should have stated that earlier. Just FYI on the single ballast it should be .5-.6 ohms.

Ballast resistor. Replaced and car is running

Thank you for alll your help and guidance. Seriously this is the last thing I would have looked at.

Big John
Halifaxhops

Saved both time and $$$$

When mine went bad the symptoms weren't the same as yours. FURYGT said replace the BR . He was right on.

I hope you eliminate that push button.

That was the exact same thing you were doing. You were holding the key in the start position to keep it running.

When it started acting up I was in the finger lakes area, if you recall. For no reason it wouldn't start at times, or just stall out. I'd have to let it cool down.
There were times it would start with a backfire, sometimes I'd get a fire in the carb. However, it always started after it cooled. I could drive for hours and I would cut out for what seemed like no reason.

Yes, I held the key the night I was on the road to Carlisle, as i recall that wasn't an option before then. The symptoms changed.
When I changed the ballast all the demons stopped.

If you noticed at 836 after the OP started the thread, I said ballast resistor Because of my experience .

Back