Installing torsion bars - no instructions on clocking them correctly or evenly into the LCA ???

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've just finished installing UCA, LCA, T-bars, knuckle / brake backing plate / lower ball joint / shocks. T-bars are not loaded. But I notice now that the adjuster arms that come off the pivot shaft are not symetrical. In other words, I'd have to screw one of the adjuster bolts in quite a bit to even make contact with one of the arms and start loading it.

I'm looking through the manual ('67 Dodge Monaco/Polara) and they make no mention of how to clock the front side of the T-bars into the LCA when installing them. The last step in the instructions is "slide t-bar into hex opening of LCA". That's it. No mention of where the adjuster arm should be pointing when you do that.

Am I getting this wrong, or is this an important consideration?

At the dealership we installed the numbers on the rear of the torsion bars horizontally. The adjusting screw should be left most of the way out with the LCA down and then align the hex in the adjuster socket and install the torsion bar. When you tighten the adjuster, have the car supported with the weight off of the front wheels. Once you have tension on the torsion bars, remove the support to check the ride height. Measure the distance from the bottom of the seam on the rocker to the floor, it should be the same front to rear so the the car sits level. It may take a couple of tries to get it right.

Dave

The socket in the control are spins and the bars can be inserted in more than one position.
You want the lobe/cam basically horizontal before you put the bars in.
Once adjusted the head should be the only part of the bolt sticking out of the arm, no shaft and seeing all the head.

Alan

Back