Installing water temp gauge

mathiew

Reaction score
How do you install a water temp gauge when you don't have temp gauge in your factory cluster?

How do you install a water temp gauge when you don't have temp gauge in your factory cluster?

This is a really good question. I would like to do the same thing with my '66 300 with 440 engine. I only have a green and red idiot lights which are connected to a two-prong temp sensor screwed into the front engine housing. Is there some other place where another temp sensor can be installed and then routed to a temp gauge? What year, model and engine are you working on?

Last edited:
You'll have a sending unit of sorts in your water pump housing either way (idiot light or gauge) You'll have to replace the sending unit to an incremental unit if you want to convert to a gauge. ... most gauges come with their own sending unit from my experience.

You'll have a sending unit of sorts in your water pump housing either way (idiot light or gauge) You'll have to replace the sending unit to an incremental unit if you want to convert to a gauge. ... most gauges come with their own sending unit from my experience.

Well thanks. . . I sorta figured that out already, but what I want is to have BOTH the idiot lights AND the gauge.

yes we want both: idiot light and gauge!
And how to test if hot idiot light work?

Last edited:
Ahh... ok. I've never done that myself. Sorry, fellas..

I installed the sensor for the gauge in front of the waterpump housing. It's located just below the outlets for the heatercore. In my 383 there was a little plug witch you can remove and screw the sensor in. But be carefull: as soon you have a tempgauge installed, you probably will get worried about the temp:steering:
(see my other thread...)

I know both of my hot and cold lights work, eps when i kept breaking my fan belt from a miss aligned idler pulley, only good thing about having a mechanical fan it still spins at driving speeds without a belt...

I installed the sensor for the gauge in front of the waterpump housing. It's located just below the outlets for the heatercore. In my 383 there was a little plug witch you can remove and screw the sensor in. But be carefull: as soon you have a tempgauge installed, you probably will get worried about the temp:steering:
(see my other thread...)

Thank you! What brand gauge did you use?

Back