Instant Chrome for just about anything!

Very difficult watching that second video wth the weirdo guy and his man-boobs in the background....

Posted via Topify on Android

Could be good on trim and dash? Wonder how good it holds up?

have seen that stuff before...looks like it could come in handy for projects and interior pieces..gona have to look into it a little more..

I can see alot of things getting chromed under the hood,assuming it can withstand high temperatures. It would be neat to experiment with it and see what it can withstand.

What concerns me is the painters spraying with no protective suits on! guess they haven't heard of skin absorbtion??

This is actually the same process that has been used to coat the back of glass to make a mirror.First you must spray a black basecoat for a smooth finish.Once the basecoat is completely dried( I believe you must wait 24hrs,but not sure),your spray the part with de-ionized water(distilled water,has to have a low mineral count),then an activator is sprayed on,followed by the two part mirroring solution(you will notice this step with the duel spray gun),then another spray with de-ionized water,and finally blown dry with air.It's actually a very simple process.The final step would be to spray a good quality clear coat to seal everything for UV protection.It would be great for automotive interior parts as well as various underhood parts too.It should be able to withstand whatever the clear coat is able to withstand,so you would even be able to spray a clean bumper(basecoat/mirrorcoat) and get a nice finish(as long as you don't bump into things with it).It should be as durable as paint with repairs alot cheaper and easier than rechroming!

From what I've read about the process, the issue is with the clear coat. It has to be thick enough to give some protection, but then you lose the "chrome" look as the film thickness builds. Then there's an issue with UV break down of the clear coat. The clearer the clear coat, the less resistant to UV it is.

It's not gonna replace real plating, but it's still interesting.

You can apply good clear coat and then polish and buff it out like you would for a show paint job and still have a really nice shine.The surface beneath the clear is reflective so I would think it would last longer than regular paint by reflecting most of the light and heat away from the surface.

So where do you get this stuff or do you have to have a specialty shop do it for you?

There are many places that do the process and there are also some that sell the setup.You can actually buy the chemicals seperately and use spray bottles ot go with paint style spray guns.A special gun is used for the mirroring solution that sprays on the two solutions at the same time.I've found these guns sold on ebay too.Just google spray on chrome or mirroring chemicals.It's the same process used for mirrors but since your not spraying on glass(smooth surface)you must basecoat your item with a good quality automotive black paint first.I know there is a place here in Tampa,Florida that does this but their equipment is meant for professional use(approx $7K) but I've seen the chemicals sell for about $300-400 and all you need to buy is some black paint,spray guns(I've seen some use good squirt bottles) and de-ionized water( distilled water with a low mineral count).The final process it to clear coat it with a good automotive paint to give it UV protection against the sunlight.

I've heard the final finish on that stuff Eastwood sells is more like the old rattle can chrome from years ago.It doesn't have the same reflective qualities as real spray on chrome.If you want an idea of spray on chrome's reflective quality,look at a mirror,it's the same process used but on a different surface.

Back