Is the spindle still viable?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Picked up my spindles for my disc brake conversion this summer. Just getting ready to start the process and clean up the spindles. The one side looks great but this side is scored up pretty good and that dark spot near the base is a small hole.
Is this spindle OK, if so what should I do to it?

IMG_20170114_170642.jpg

boat anchor for a pond boat...

and that sucks. You probably couldnt see it under the grease

That is what I figured dammit, I will see if I can get a replacement

Murrays a great guy he has a replacement for me. He didn't look at it real close and neither did I, and all the damage was on the bottom of the spindle.

I didn't bother examining it, because it was from Murray. He had just pulled them that morning before I got there. He said when he ships them he will degrease them and have a good look at them.

Picked up my spindles for my disc brake conversion this summer. Just getting ready to start the process and clean up the spindles. The one side looks great but this side is scored up pretty good and that dark spot near the base is a small hole.
Is this spindle OK, if so what should I do to it?

View attachment 112353
Could that hole be from somebody installing a zerk fitting to try to grease the wheel bearings?

I think that hole is from a spindle repair. Probably the bearing failed and tore up the spindle. They welded it up and machined it. The hole is a void in the weld.

I wouldn't use it... Glad to see Murray standing behind his sale.

If you don't mind me asking what does Murray charge for a set of Disc brake spindles?

I assume you are converting to disc brakes on goldie then?

Yes, I believe I have everything I can buy off the shelf. I bought a disc brake booster from a '68 and it off being restored. I finally have time to work on it.

You have my phone number, when it warms up some I will get you pictures of how I did the conversion on my 66 300.

This is why we all refer to Murray when we need parts for our cars. Called him Saturday evening, holiday on Monday, I got home tonight and there on the step, my replacement spindle.
Now that is service.

IMG_20170117_180733206.jpg

Back