Last call for help

Fishfan

Reaction score
OK. So I'm starting another thread about my inner wheel bearings and the grease seals. I really need to make a call on this tonight. As a refresher, I took the front drums off to have them turned. The machinist tapped out the inner bearings and seals and I didn't note the orientation. The seals are apparently a rare type that has a metal flange on one side.

Here are four pictures showing how they might go in. I'm showing the old seals just for illustration purposes. I plan to clean and repack the bearings and install new seals tonight.

Picture 1. In this picture the flanged side of the seal is down in the hub, making contact with the outer edge of the bearing. So the rubber on the seal does not make contact with the bearing but apparently instead would make contact with the base of the spindle.

20141010_223250.jpg

Picture 2 shows how the same arrangement would look on the spindle.

20141010_223538.jpg

Picture 3 depicts the seal with the rubber seal down in the hub and the flange facing up.

20141010_223456.jpg

Picture 4 shows the spindle with the seal on it in the orientations shown in picture 3. Note that this picture is not realistic as the flange is never actually going to go IN to the backing plate as seen here because the top edge of the flange will be flush with the wheel hub.

20141010_223617.jpg

Now I was initially of the opinion that Picture 3 was how this this thing is supposed to go but now I have my doubts.

My reasons for this is are:

1. I tried this orientation and kept thinking about it. I could have sworn I smelled something coming from the wheels. I bought a new pair of seals and decided to go pack in and clean and repack everything. When I took off the drum the rubber seal was fried. The fresh grease was black, probably from the burning rubber.

2. It seems that with the rubber part facing the bearing that there's way too much play in the whole set up. Like the bearing isn't being held firmly into place.

I don't get it. I swear I've looked everywhere for a good illustration and simply can't find one. Or a video.

20141010_223250.jpg

20141010_223538.jpg

20141010_223617.jpg

20141010_223456.jpg

Which side is the spring to hold the lip out on? The spring always goes towards the inside of the hub. To me, number 3 looks correct.

Well the rubber is only on one side. I don't see a spring but that doesn't mean there isn't one in there. I'm thinking the reason the rubber burned up was because the seal wasn't seated properly. On the other side, the seal was intact.

When I redid my front end this spring, the seals were positioned like picture #3 and that's how I replaced them. I played out everything the way is was on the car when I took it off because I didn't have a clue and knew I'd forget if I just set it aside.

Picture 3 is how I would install them. The slop in the wheel bearings is supposed to be there, not taken up by the inner seal. The inner seal is only really there as a dust/dirt/water seal. The slop in the wheel bearings will be taken up by the tightening of the front nut on the spindle.

Thanks guys. I put them in like picture 3. Sure is a B!t(h to get them in straight. Even with the seal driver.

Picture 3 is how I would install them. The slop in the wheel bearings is supposed to be there, not taken up by the inner seal. The inner seal is only really there as a dust/dirt/water seal. The slop in the wheel bearings will be taken up by the tightening of the front nut on the spindle.

By slop do you mean the play that I mentioned? Well that would make sense. So then let me ask you a question. In picture 3 there is a "valley" between the wheel hub and the flange on the seal. Is this in too far? Should the "shoulder" of the seal be flush with the edge of the wheel hub? That means the rubber on the seal does not actually make contact with the bearing, correct?

Duh. I'm going to answer my own question. I really am a newb. In picture 3 the seal has been driven way too far into the hub. The rubber was making contact with the bearing and that's why I'm going on my third set of seals in a week. I feel like a dummy.

Duh. I'm going to answer my own question. I really am a newb. In picture 3 the seal has been driven way too far into the hub. The rubber was making contact with the bearing and that's why I'm going on my third set of seals in a week. I feel like a dummy.

Don't feel bad, we have all been there! We all have to learn somehow, and sometimes the best learned lessons are the ones we really mess up. ;) :)

I have never heard paid education put into context more accurately than that.
Bravo, Dave

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Back