Mopar Folklore

67-Fury

Reaction score
Here is a Story i was always told growing up, Every Mopar Guy in my town always had a Story on this car or what happend to it after the crash. Local Legend i suppose. No one ever had pictures of the Car until one Day me and My Dad were looking through a 50 Plymouth that was stacked inside with Old News Papers.

received_132774693917302.jpeg
received_132774710583967.jpeg

There's a story like that in Syracuse.

A 69 Coronet R/T crashed at high speed into some trees on Erie Blvd. The car split in three pieces and all six people inside were killed. The story was all over the news at the time.

The story has all sorts of variations... One is they were street racing (quite possible) and all sorts of graphic stories about where they found bodies. Everybody and their brother would say they at the scene or just before or just after.

They did drag the car to all the area high schools. I remember seeing it... They had it on a trailer and put it in the middle of the smoking area at our school. (geez... remember when high schools had those?).

They had a smoking section at the senior table in the cafeteria at my high school. Teachers smoked while teaching class. One of them, Mr. Mattimore would light one of the other. Ahhh the good old days. Like my Imperials... a cigarette lighter on every door, "Smoke-m if you got-em"

1971. A famous one .. but I had never heard of it till last year .. here. Nobody killed, but the only incident of its kind.

00-1-2.jpg

source: https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/...n-largest-ever-display-of-indy-500-pace-cars/

I have a personal story from 1971 -- sorta like big_john's. 19 year old kid and two of his friends, driving on I-94 in Detroit. We lived three blocks away and heard it. Few minutes later saw the smoke.

It was BAD is all I will say - everything and everyone barely recognizable and spread everwhere. Engine/tranny 1,000 feet away on other side of freeway, etc, tire-to-tire rear end up on the service drive .. and then the fire.

Car was a '68 Charger. Looked for photos in Free Press and Detroit News archives. His estimated speed was 120 mph. I drive by that spot even today -- they've changed that part of the freeway a couple years back --and I remember EVERYTHING about the scene.

Funny how they put the Kabosh on smoking because it is bad for you but they have no issue with allowing chemicals that kill to be injected into our crops...........I guess the smoking lobby wasn't as strong as Monsanto is.

There was also a story I heard abt my local area back in 1986 or so.......that there was a 70 or 71 Barracuda hemi car up a junkyard in 'one of the coal stripping pits up near the top' that a guy was supp going light speed in and crashed/died. we never got in b/c the family amassed all these junkers and never sold any parts or anything. I looked on Google maps and it is completely cleared out up there.

Back