Motor Mystery

Nadine66

Reaction score
I have a mystery! (at least to me ) The VIN of my '66 Newport 5th digit is a G. According to the service manual that means it has a 413. If it had a 383 it would be F and a 440 would be J. Everything I've read so far states Newports didn't have the 413 as an option. The car has air conditioning so I can't see the stamp on the engine block. Thanks for any info you folks could help me with!

See this thread:

Thanks, That's great info! From what it sounds I'm fortunate to have the 383 because of finding parts for the 413 sounds more difficult.

Our '66 Newport Town Sedan is also a "G" designation. Yet has the 383 2bbl engine.

When I got a service manual, I discovered the engine designation in the VIN and knew there were no 2bbl 413s, that I was aware of, in cars. That in itself confirmed it was a 383, plus the location of the pad with stampings on it.

The car is very initial production 1966, arriving in the initial order for '66 Chryslers the local dealer did, arriving prior to show date.

Years later, I happened across an inquiry in a Mopar magazine about mid-designated (in the VIN) engines. Seems it happened with a few others, too.

Might a 2bbl 413 be possible? Yes, IF a 2bbl RB383 intake is used.

Glad to see another "G" 383 exists,
CBODY67

When I bought my '66 the guy gave me a service manual he printed from the internet. This is where I decoded my VIN. I have some grease and grime to clean off the engine block before I can look for the stamp.

Screenshot_20240615_083050_Gallery.jpg

Might a 2bbl 413 be possible? Yes, IF a 2bbl RB383 intake is used.
They used a 2bbl 413 in medium and heavy duty trucks well into the 70's. I also believe there were industrial 413 2bbl engines that I think were still available in the late 70's, but don't quote me on that one.

They used a 2bbl 413 in medium and heavy duty trucks well into the 70's. I also believe there were industrial 413 2bbl engines that I think were still available in the late 70's, but don't quote me on that one.
Yes, I am aware of the 413 Medium-Duty Truck motors. I am also aware that much on them, past the cyl block, might cross-over into the car realm of things. Which is why I did not mention them in my post. First time I saw a Dodge medium-duty truck motor, circa 1972 (just before they exited that market), I was surprised at how much different the whole thing was.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back