My 1996 Newport mild resto/performance project.

All cleaned up -more pics soon. Drove her around for about 10 miles... only issue is a hesitation on tip into throttle, gotta be something with the carb... other than that she drives like a dream. Anyone know what 4bbl options I have? something that bolts to the stock intake.

620708_3556150962347_2073742941_o.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful car. It's interesting your car doesn't have the fender mounted turn signals. It's the first '66 I've seen without them. I believe they were standard so I guess whoever ordered your car opted out for them. I'm very happy you saved her from those demo derby idiots!

She's a beauty. Don't change a thing.:wav:

Only things getting changed will be some bolt-on performance. Driving this thing, hell even standing next to it is like going back in time man. I'm more excited about this car than any other car I have owned.

Yea, she's a blast from the past. The 383 will respond quite nicely to a few go fast goodies that will also not change it too drastically from stock form.

Yea, she's a blast from the past. The 383 will respond quite nicely to a few go fast goodies that will also not change it too drastically from stock form.

Any suggestions for mods? I'm considering Headers and exhaust first, then a intake, carb and a mild cam combo. MAYBE a shift kit

Any suggestions for mods? I'm considering Headers and exhaust first, then a intake, carb and a mild cam combo. MAYBE a shift kit

I can tell you what I did with the 383 in my 70' Newport: AVS carb, 383/440 magnum spec cam, 383 performer intake manifold, electronic ignition (w/re-curved dizzy), MSD super coil, 8mm spark plug cables, d/r timing chain, aluminum wtr pump & housing (6-7 fins), new hi-po carter fuel pump, aux trans cooler, 14" aux rad fan...and I also removed and cleaned up the heads with a 3 angle valve job, put in hardened valve seats, new valves, lifters, push rods, retainers etc. Nothing super expensive or crazy money. Still have stock exhaust manifolds...I want to replace those eventually, which dump into 2.5in dual system w/ Flowmaster mufflers and chrome tips. I love the way she runs although I think the carb could use a bit more tuning.

All this stuff would work nicely with your car if you wanted to do that. I think you scored a mighty fine ride to start with...and everything is there. I'm gonna have to start driving out around that way to see whats still hiding! Who would've thought.

IMG_4572.jpg

IMG_7265.jpg

IMG_8140.jpg

Yup, it sure is.....I am disciplined and have priorities in my life, this way lets me have my cake and eat it too.

Was actually typing this while still looking at Andrew's 4dr post sedan with the blackwalls. Like the plain low optioned models. But fits yours quite as well.

I can tell you what I did with the 383 in my 70' Newport: AVS carb, 383/440 magnum spec cam, 383 performer intake manifold, electronic ignition (w/re-curved dizzy), MSD super coil, 8mm spark plug cables, d/r timing chain, aluminum wtr pump & housing (6-7 fins), new hi-po carter fuel pump, aux trans cooler, 14" aux rad fan...and I also removed and cleaned up the heads with a 3 angle valve job, put in hardened valve seats, new valves, lifters, push rods, retainers etc. Nothing super expensive or crazy money. Still have stock exhaust manifolds...I want to replace those eventually, which dump into 2.5in dual system w/ Flowmaster mufflers and chrome tips. I love the way she runs although I think the carb could use a bit more tuning.

All this stuff would work nicely with your car if you wanted to do that. I think you scored a mighty fine ride to start with...and everything is there. I'm gonna have to start driving out around that way to see whats still hiding! Who would've thought.

Thanks for the suggestions -I plan on taking her to Englishtown once or twice next season -I'll post something up here... maybe meet up.

The evil person in me wants to go twin turbo and leave the outside alone... total sleeper.

Thanks for the suggestions -I plan on taking her to Englishtown once or twice next season -I'll post something up here... maybe meet up.

The evil person in me wants to go twin turbo and leave the outside alone... total sleeper.

GO for it. LoL It is totally up to you as to what you do with your Newport....and that would be evil, haha.

If your talking about Englishtown NJ (?) I used to go there every summer for "Mopars at Englishtown". However from what I understand now and what some people here have told me the event has kind of petered out and the crowds aren't there anymore. Too bad, I took MANY pictures each year I went, and saw MANY different cool mopars. I always enjoyed the road trip getting there and I had a different mopar at the time.

Let me know if you're going to race at E-Town, I go there for several races every year. My favorite is the ProMods at the "Shakedown at E-Town" known now as the Shakedown Nationals.

Let me know if you're going to race at E-Town, I go there for several races every year. My favorite is the ProMods at the "Shakedown at E-Town" known now as the Shakedown Nationals.

So then it's still a happening place I guess?? What about the Mopar event?

Mopars At E-town is a great event. I have gone the past two years and there has been a pretty decent turnout both times. I have heard it used to be a lot better though. Not too many C-bodies but still a great event.

Mopars At E-town is a great event. I have gone the past two years and there has been a pretty decent turnout both times. I have heard it used to be a lot better though. Not too many C-bodies but still a great event.

cOOL!! I guess I need to plan for it next summer. Always had a great time there. And there were always running into other people on the way up. THanks!

Back