My New Bus!

I think that Road wheels, "Rally", and Magnums are 2 different styles. Magnum 500's where first offered on chryslers in 1968, according to the Make your move sales book for 1968. Thats what came on my latest 300, 14".

I think that Road wheels, "Rally", and Magnums are 2 different styles. Magnum 500's where first offered on chryslers in 1968, according to the Make your move sales book for 1968. Thats what came on my latest 300, 14".
1967 Belvedere dealer book. They called the "Magnum" a road wheel.

67_Belvedere_features_options0003.jpg

I have occassionally wondered if you could use 15" trim rings to adapt the 14" wheel covers to 15" wheels. But then I look at all the other things that I need to do and decide that my M-body wheel covers are good enough for now. :)

I have occassionally wondered if you could use 15" trim rings to adapt the 14" wheel covers to 15" wheels. But then I look at all the other things that I need to do and decide that my M-body wheel covers are good enough for now. :)
I looked at some options for that too. There is some early Chevy trim ring that's real slim that's supposed to work. The other option appears to be slicing a 14" wheel up and welding it to the lip of the 15" wheel. That looks heavy and clumsy to me. Probably a nightmare to balance too.

Actually, they are three different styles.

The Rallye wheel, never an option (at least I don't remember) on a C body. All sizes. 1970(?) and newer. I have a set of these on my '65 Formula S Barracuda.

Chrysler-Rallye-Silver-10001.jpg

The so called "Magnum" wheel. This was also sold in the aftermarket as Magnum 500 and where the name comes from. Chrysler called them "Custome Road wheels" According to the letter from Chrysler I posted earlier, they may have been available as early as 1965. I've never seen that anywhere else though and the earliest reference in dealer literature is 1967. Available only in 14" from Chrysler, in the aftermarket, and on Fords, you could get a 15".

MW865.jpg

Then the 15" Road wheel that was offered on the C bodies (1969?) and later and then on Diplomats and the like. I have a set of these on my '70 300. Also used on Chevy trucks (which lets you use them on a 5"BC Imperial) and some AMC cars. 15 x 6" and then 15 x 7" on the Diplomats, Lebarons etc.

I actually have a picture of a wheel like this on my car from the 90's from two owners ago.

roadwheels-1-jpg.jpg

This person (Adam) on You Tube highlights truly notable cars and he also made a video highlighting the 300L and its outstanding design. I enjoy his videos as they are usually very down to earth in terms of presentation, well researched in terms of their accuracy and I agree with a lot of his opinions/conclusions.

Here is his on the 300L:

I totally agree with you Steve. I also like the video very much, and not only because my 300L is used twice as an example image.

My strong, unabashed vote is for the 15" Chromie Magnum.
Without a doubt, it's the best wheel (again, my opinion - lol) for your 65 300.
View attachment 601534
Actually I had "Magnums" on one of my '69 Roadrunners. Correct for 1969 with trim rings. My A12 (in the background) had Keystones.

I think going with the wheelcovers is a change for me.

eXWoSY2.jpg

Mounted tires by hand at home and then had to get the bead to seat so I could inflate them.

That's one of my considerations.

I was given this today.... By "road wheels" I believe they referring to Magnums. So.. a 14" Magnum could be correct and a 15" would be close enough.

View attachment 600148

The chrome 14" Road wheel and 15" chrome Road wheel were initially made for Ford by Kelsey-Hayes. The five-spoke 14" with trim ring was a Chrysler/AMC wheel option; as was the 14" chrome road wheel. A 15" chrome Road wheel was never offered by Chrysler.

The chrome 14" Road wheel and 15" chrome Road wheel were initially made for Ford by Kelsey-Hayes. The five-spoke 14" with trim ring was a Chrysler/AMC wheel option; as was the 14" chrome road wheel. A 15" chrome Road wheel was never offered by Chrysler.
Actually it was Motor Wheel and not Kelsey Hayes.

They offered that wheel in the aftermarket and I'm not sure of the timeline for when Ford et al started offering them. From the letter, I would say that Chrysler started doing something in 1965, although that is the only thing I've ever seen that state that.

I got into a discussion on the forum about the 15" wheels... Yep, Chrysler never offered them, but some are convinced that they did.

Here's a 1965 ad for Magnum 500's from this site. As you can see, they go back to 1965 at least. Motor Wheel | Vintage Wheel Catalogs
001-10.jpg

1966 ad

s-l1600.jpg

Ah, yes, Motor Wheel!

The 15" wheels so commonly found on C-body cars were called "Rallye Road Wheels" in Chrysler literature.

I don't know what rock I have been under, but a big congrats on the beautiful L!

Back